circumcised-- half cut???

i brought my 6 day old to get circumcized today. they had me wait in the waiting room during the proceure & brought me in to explain what happened after the proceure was complete. they said that his winkie is still too small, so they had to cut only about half the foreskin off, & the head of his penis is still inside what's left of the foreskin. i'm really concerned. my husband called it a "jimmy-cut" but i couldn't find anything on google. they saw the worry in my face & anger in my husband's, so they did their best to reassure us that the procedure still was successful & it should look normal by the time he turns 2. has anyone ever had this happen. he is my first son so i don't know what to expect. i'm pretty upset because i feel he's been mutilated for no reason if it's still not fully circumcised. does anyone have any similar experience? how did it turn out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• this happened to my son and it really is normal..by the time he was too..he would get erections and I could see some of the skin was slightly attached to the rim of the head of his penis and I was a bit concerned that the circumcision wasnt dont correctly so I went back to the dr. and the reassured me it was normal, and it is best to take off to little then too much because they will keep and eye on it thereafter. The doctor gave me a medicated creme that thins the layer of skin and I rubbed it on it twice a day for a couple of months and its just like normal now!! Dont worry but definately remind your doctor as he gets older so they can fix it , my son just turned 3 in feb and his is just fine now.
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 8:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• You should take your child to another doctor to have it looked at and see if things will eventually be normal. If not, call a lawyer.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 7:57 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• This exact thing happened when I had my first son circ'd. They call it "conservative". I can assure you that it healed properly and he is now 13 years old and fully "normal". I can say that the experience of having my baby go through the unnecessary trauma of the procedure made me reconsider the practice and my two younger boys are not cut at all.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 8:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I dont understand why it was too small. My son was circ'd the day after he was born. Id go to another doctor and get another opinion.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• This is exactly why if I ever have a son I will wait and let him choose to be circumcised on his own.

GL Momma. You're gonna need it. I suggest like Neebug getting a second opinion from a different doctor, and if it ends up having a bad result please contact an attorney. Babies are not guinea pigs and they should have told you if the circumcision was going to be normal or not, and then given you some options.
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 8:03 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• It is apparently normal

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=597152
    Anonymous

• It's actually better. It's better to take too little skin rather then too much.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:29 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• yep same thing happened to my youngest son but no one told me. he woke up one morning at 2 months & i freaked out when i couldnt find his penis. pulled skinback & their it was. it upset me i put him through that procedure only for it to fail.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 8:38 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• It will do no harm to get a second opinion, preferably from a pediatrician. I have never heard before of the excuse that his penis was too small. If he is to be redone, the younger he is the better as i am sure you and your husband will not want the little fellow growing up ' half and half '.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2010