Could he have allergies?

The past few times I've taken my 8 month old for a walk outside, his eyes have gotten red and a little bloodshot. He starts rubbing them a lot too. That's the only symptom he has. no sneezing or anything like that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• His eyes could be sensitive to pollen, air pollution, and other stuff in the air without having an actual allergic reaction. You could use plain eye drops with nothing other than salt and water in them in his eyes. I uses that kind of drop and it doesn't hurt at all.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:10 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• It is very possible. Take him to his pediatrician at your earliest convenience. If you find that your child is allergic to pollen, check local counts at aaaai.org/nab. When there's a high pollen count, especially in the spring and fall, keep your windows closed and turn on the air-conditioning. On these days, it's also a good idea to keep your baby indoors between sunrise and late morning, when pollen counts tend to be highest. Pollen is sticky, so after coming in from outside, change your baby's clothes and bathe him if you can.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I disagree, it's not very likely. Usually seasonal allergies do not develop within the first year, and they're rare in the second year of life. Your child has to be "sensitized" to the allergens, which means he has to be exposed to them so that his body can later form a reaction to them. Otherwise, allergic reactions can't happen. So in theory at least, the youngest babies to be getting seasonal allergies right now are the ones who were little this time last year. But talk to your doctor anyway.
    Anonymous

• I have to disagree with anoynomus,my daughter isnt a year old and she was diagnosed with seasonal allergies which included,sneezing,runny nose,ear infection from the drainage,rubbing of the eyes the works and there is meds that can be given.My daughters on meds so good luck
    alaina_20

Answer by alaina_20 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 9, 2010