Has anyone went straight into active labor without any pre labor signs?

Hi everyone! I 37 weeks pregnant as of tomorrow. I wanted to know if anybody has ever gone into active labor without the usual signs or symptoms of pre labor? I have had a great pregnancy, very healthy no problems at all. So good that I feel like i could continue to be pregnant forever lol. I know that i am not past due and have nothing to worry aout but i was just curious what i should be looking out for. I have not even experienced a single braxton hicks contraction my entire pregnancy. My midwife does not do internal exams for fear of infection so i have no clue if i am dilated or effaced at all. I am just wondering if i could be in early labor without realizing it, like already 1 or 2 cm dilated or something. I am just apprehensive, i have no idea when this is going to all go down seeing that i have had no warning signs whatsoever. Any comments or advice?

Stefania512

Asked by Stefania512 at 8:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Why apprehensive? Knowing that your are a little dilated tells you nothing. If this is your first baby and you have it so quickly that the midwife doesn't get to your home (if you are having a home birth) or that you don't get to the hospital then you will get to be on TV. That's how rare it is.

There aren't really any warning signs for most women. You will probably be in labor for 6 hours - 24 hours. You will know when you are in active labor. Some women think they have to go to the hospital at the first sign of labor and that's why they worry and don't know if it's labor or not. You really don't need to go until active labor.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:57 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• i didn't have any signs of labor that early for sure. i didn't have any prelabor stuff whatsoever until i was 40 weeks and 4 days. at that point, i lost mucus plug. then a couple of days later, i was crampy all night, then the next morning, my water broke, active labor began w/in an hour or 2 and my son was born about 7 or 8 hours after that.

so at 37 weeks, nothing. at 40 weeks nothing.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• With my first I didn't dialate or anything until the day I had him. I was 41 weeks and 5 days. I lost my plug at 6:45 am and started having contractions that were 3 minutes apart. I had him at 6:49pm. With my other 2 I had contractions for days and was dialated for at least 2 weeks.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 10:16 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• with my daughter me doctor wanted me to be induced at midnight the day after my due date cause I was 3 cm for a couple of months before she was born and she didn't want me to wait but when I got to the hospital I was 5 cm already and I didn't even know I was in labor I walked into the hospital and even had to wait for them to get a room ready for me not knowing that I was in labor all that time
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 10:39 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• A friend of mine, all her labor was, was 30 mins. From time she felt first contraction to the time he came out. 30 mins, that is insane.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:16 PM on Apr. 9, 2010