Would you be concerned/jealous of the attention given to a extended family member?

My children are about the same age as their cousin is. But it seems like they don't get the same attention from the family. Other than maybe a handful of times have anyone ever been to my house to visit and see them in 4 years. But they all say that they'll come by. No one has ever volunteered to babysit them, take them out, or anything. But their cousin, on the other hand, spends the night at their houses. Goes out with them, toys / gifts all the time. Not that my kids aren't loved by me and their dad but I'm feeling a little jealous for them seeing the attention that she's getting. I'm only 2o minutes versus 10-15 minutes away from family, so distance shouldn't be a issue. They're very good and well behaved kids. Am I wrong for this? Thanks,,,,Peeved in PA.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No I'd be a little upset too. I have a similar issue with our daughter. My BIL's gf is pregnant now and she spends a lot of time with my MIL. I've never been invited out for a day of shopping or a manicure with her but she is up my BIL's gf's butt. She has also NEVER babysat for me and she doesn't work. I know once she has the baby my MIL will babysit all the time. Oh well I just let it go bc I can't change the situation. Try not to let it get to you.
    Anonymous

• id be a lil ticked. my dhs grew up as the one that didnt get attention from his extended family but his sister got tons. and they were in the same house. but there really isnt much you can do. it did take a toll on him though. he still isnt close to any of his relatives and his sister rubs it in his face even though she is a grown woman now.
    Anonymous

• aww how can you be not normal :( everyone wants their babies to be loved..i know i do.Is this your own family or your hubbies? Its hard for me to answer because i have the first grandkid so he is very loved,i try to just make the best of it he has a little cousin and even tho i adore him ive onely picked him up once, now my SIL is having a girl YAY!!! and im beyond myself :) also my nephew is not even 1 yet but actyually im gonna ask for him this sunday ty for reminding me.maybie its because its the first girl.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 9:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• OMG i know exactly how you feel! in my case, it's not the kids that are the problem, it's me. my SIL and i live fairly equal distances for the family, but her kids get the special treatment, and mine are forgotten. the difference? i have rules. according to my MIL simple things like, no mountain dew, no scary movies, (my kids are 2,4, and 5) have made my kids not worth the effort i suppose. she says i should be grateful to get a break from them, and not ask people to alter their life for my children. rofl but oh well : )

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 9:16 PM on Apr. 9, 2010