what time is bedtime?

my kids go to bed at 8:45 every night. we read a story, say our prayers, give kisses, and straight to sleep by 9:00. it's my favorite time of the day, because it always goes over without a hitch. it's a rare "good mom" moment for me to see that my kids are so peaceful about going to bed. what's bedtime like at your house? what are some things you do to make it easier on your children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I shoot to be out of the room with the door closed (but "a little bit open") at 7:45. I usually hear my 2 girls (19 months and almost 3, they share a room), talking or singing to themselves (not to each other yet) for a few minutes, then I just hear the older one, and then they're usually quiet within 20 minutes but sometimes the older one will talk to her animals --happily -- for up to an hour. Usually when she's had a long nap. Very peaceful, too.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My kids bed time is usually between 10:30 and 11. We still co-sleep, so bed time is rather simple. We give kisses and lay down.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• here during the week it is always 8pm. (my DD is 21 months so it is ALWAYS 8pm unless she is super cranky then its earlier) my SKs are allowed to stay up a little later on weekends if we have something going on, but if not we like to get them to bed at the regular time. SD is 9.5 and SS is 6. SS needs the sleep. SD we have started letting read in her bed till 9pm but when we have done this she turns the light out at 8:30pm herself. They don't get enough sleep at their mom's house so they tend to be exhausted and are both asleep REALLY fast. Sometimes SS is falling asleep downstairs before 8pm when we all go upstairs.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My daughter is 23 months and her bedtime is 7pm. We get her pajama's on, brush her teeth, and read a book. She knows the routine by now and it works for her. She sleeps till 7 sometimes 8 am the next day.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• For my 10 year old, getting ready for bed starts at 8pm. Shower (which he sometimes takes forever in there,lol), then he gets dresed, picks out some books to read and he lays in bed and reads till 9pm, when I come in, tuck him kiss him goodnight and turn his light off. I used to read to him every night when he was younger, but you know..."mommmmmm, I can read to myself ya know" LOL.
    For my 13 month old, either I or her dad give her a bubble bath (with lavender) either before or after my son takes his shower. I get her all lotioned up and dressed for bed. I make her a warm bedtime bottle. Waves "night night' to everyone and 'everything',lol. If she's not too tired by then, we will sit with her in the glider I have in her room and read he a story and just lay her down. Sometimes she's too fussy for a book and rather just lay right down.I turn on the mobile and she goes to sleep in a few minutes.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Bedtime for our son is 9:30. Routine is jammies, brush teeth, get book bag ready for school, prayers, hug and off to dreamland. For me and DH, bedtime is 9:35.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• DD is 21 months old and her bedtime is 7pm sharp.

Bath begins by 6:20pm. Then jammies, milk and bed.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:08 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My DD is 28 months old, she goes to sleep at 7:30pm, after dinner she gets a bath, milk, brush her teeth, and she goes to bed where we read her a book. My baby is 6 months old and she is not not on a schedule yet, she goes to sleep at 9pm, and still wakes up many times during the night.
    shining8250

Answer by shining8250 at 11:44 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Ours is peaceful but not ideal. You'll see what I mean.

My son is 20 months. Bed time is 7:30. At 7:00 we start the routine. Bath, jammies, vitamins, story/song. Then lights out. I turn on his night light and lullaby CD (we have a noisy house so I like to block out the noises), then I sit in a chair in his room until he falls asleep and sneak out closing the door behind me.

Lately he's been sleeping until about 5:45 or 6 am. Sometimes he wakes up in the middle of the night and it's really hard for him to fall back asleep. I'll go in there and tuck him back into bed, restart his CD, and he'll just sit there wake for upwards of an hour trying to fall back asleep. He doesn't jump out of bed, he just lays there but he can't sleep.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:39 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• My youngest is 16 months - he goes to bed at 7. We just read him a short book and then lay him down, he goes right to sleep. My older three are 8, 10, and 12 - my 12 year old goes to bed at 8 by choice and puts himself in bed (he has autism and it's a schedule thing), my 8 and 10 year olds go to bed at 8:30 - I read to them a chapter out of a book we are reading while we spend time in my room and then they go to their own rooms, I go tuck each of them in and give them kisses, they go to sleep. We've always had a pretty routine schedule so they are used to it and don't fuss.

Answer by missanc at 9:30 AM on Apr. 10, 2010