Would you or would you not let your kids go to the vet to put your dog to sleep?

I NEED HELP MOMS!!!!!!! Would you let your children go with you to euthanize your pet? We have a dog we have to put down tommorow and I don't know if I should take the kids with us or have them go to grandmas. We have explained to them what is going to happen and they want to go but I have had a few people tell me it would be too traumatic. My kids are 5 & 8. What should I do?

houndogfairy

Asked by houndogfairy at 9:19 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Pets

• It depends on the kids and their bond with the animal. But generally yes, I would take them. I think they need to have that time to understand what is going on. They need to understand that their dog is ill and needs to be put down to keep him from hurting and they need that time to say goodbye. In addition, I would say holding a "funeral" would also be beneficial and give them an outlet for the pain and loss they are undoubtedly going to feel.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:22 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Let them choose. Tell them what will happen.

Take a picture of you dog after the dog dies. That is a problem I've had, I keep trying to remember in my head. If there were a picture then I could let the image in my head go.

I'm so sorry.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:22 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• They are old enough to understand what is happening. I would have a WHOLE family talk. Everyone in the household. Dad, maybe even grandma too if she lives with you. Ask them what they want to do. 8 is definitely old enough to make a choice like that.

If they choose not to come to the vet, have an activity for them to do while you are away. Maybe make an art piece to memorialize your pet. Something like that will give them closure.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:22 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• i would take them. it could be a valuable lesson and the process is very easy and peaceful. my dad made me watch him shoot a dog when i was about 8 and it was traumatic but euthinasia is a bit different. they just go to sleep.
    Anonymous

• i don't think i would take them, but i would let them have a funeral for the dog. that way they get to see him "sleeping" and say goodbye, but they don't have to be there for that "moment" your 5 yr old won't have very many memories of the dog anyway, and i wouldn't want that to be one of the few. i'm so sorry! i know what you're going through and it's not easy. pets really can be part of the family, so it's a very hard choice to make. good luck (((hugs)))
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 9:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Honestly, I don't think I would take my kids at that age. Possibly the 8yo if the maturity was there, but its a huge deal to lose you childhood pet. Our dog had to be put down when I was 15--- and I was the only of my sibling allowed to go even then (they were 13, 12, and 10). Granted, I do think my sisters (13 and 12) could have handled it (my brother was always on the immature side), but it was an intense experience.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 9:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I would let them choose. We lost a puppy recently and before we burried him I asked the kids if they wanted to say good bye to him. They are 8 & 6, but I felt it was part of the letting go closure thing for the family.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 12:43 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I would let them choose as well.
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 1:28 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I would take them to the grandparents considering their ages. Sometimes, euthanasia does not go as smoothly as it should and I would hate for them to see that. I know it is a very hard time and I am truly sorry but I would let them say their good-byes before hand.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:17 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I would take them, Maybe you could have the Vet place a IV Catheter before the put the dog to sleep just to make sure it goes smoothly and they won't have to see the dog get multiple "injections" or needle sticks. I work at a vet clinic and we have done this before for families with kids, it works great. sorry about your loss.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 6:37 PM on Apr. 10, 2010