Is it a race thing? (Sleep need for toddler)

I'm white and my husband is Puerto Rican. All of his Black, Puerto rican, and Asian friends seem to think I'm some kind of tyrant for putting our daughter to bed at 7pm. She will be 2 in May. They all have made comments seemingly SHOCKED that our daughter's bedtime is 7pm. They have said things like "oh my kids are up all night" and wow 7 is CRAZY early. They all also have parties till sometimes 2am and their kids are there. I don't know am I missing something here? Do people of other races put their kids to bed later? Btw she sleeps 7-7.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• i think it's a legit time for bed..especially for a toddler...blow it off, tell them it's your child, your life and it does not concern them.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My kids go to bed at 8pm and sleep 12 hours also. I do it because I know that that's how much sleep they need to be able to function properly, AND that's how much they WANT. I don't do it because I'm white. I honestly can't imagine putting them to bed after 10. My kids would be tyrants the next day!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 9:45 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• It's not a race thing, but it's definitely a cultural thing. Coming from a latin family myself, I know that they are more relaxed about schedules and time in general. Their kids are included in almost everything that adults do...they go to late night parties, they go everywhere their parents go pretty much. That being said, though, keep in mind that latinos do like to speak their mind...it may sound like a criticism to you but it's probably nothing more than casual commentary. My family is the same way...they always have something to say. Keep on doing what you think is best. Actually sleep studies show it is much healthier for young children to have an early bedtime, so you're doing the right thing and feel free to share that with them next time they feel the need to comment! :)
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 9:55 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Your doing great MOM--my kids went to bed early also, and its not only white people who thinks a kids should go to bed whenever-I have white friends who kids went to bed midnite, up for school and fall asleep in school.You as a Mom- set the time,they go to bed,your setting a structure of their well being. Don't listen to those idiots. Plus isn't is nice to have the rest of the night to yourself. thats their problem their kids go to sleep whenever.
    Anonymous

• Why are you making this about race? I am biracial and when my kids were two they went to bed at seven.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• READ the question pinkdragon! I am ASKING if it's a race thing. All of the ppl "I" know that put their kids to bed early are White!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Apr. 10, 2010