38 weeks pregnant, when do I know if Im having a real contraction and its not just a braxton hicks?

I never had braxton hicks with my first and never with this pregnancy untill about a week ago. Im guessing there braxton hicks cause I still have not gone into labor but Im noticing them more as time goes on so how will I be able to distinguish the difference. All I know is that I am dialated a good 2 and the L&D nurse said that when I was having a contraction the other day that the babys head was pushing down with them and Im 60% effaced so wether there braxton hicks or not there doing there job. I just am noticing my stomach tightning up all over from top to bottom but it doesnt hurt so are they just braxton hicks then?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Real contractions have a rhythm, you can time them.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• use your instincts. labor contractions will get intense and close together
    Anonymous

• You will know... nature just works that way
    Braxton hicks do a job-- they start to dialate and eface your cervix-- so dont wish em away-- dont forget to stay well hydrated
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:58 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• In my experience, real contractions have a whole different feel to them. They felt like crushing pelvic pains but my BH felt like what you described. They felt like my stomach was tightening up and was rock hard with an occasional period like cramp. From that to my labor contractions, there was no way I couldn't tell the difference.
    You WILL know the difference. Good luck & early congrats!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 10:46 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I was worried with all three births, but you will know the differance. If your water breaks then get to the hospital. Good luck1
    CherylMacAinsh

Answer by CherylMacAinsh at 10:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Thanks ladies, I guess I will keep waiting to see what happens tonight cause if those are braxton hicks Im having quit a few of them. Still they dont hurt so will see as the night progresses. :)
    Anonymous

• Mine had a peak. It would start out mild and work its way up and then work its way back down. Thats how I was able to know when I was in labor. That and no matter what you do they wont go away.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 11:27 PM on Apr. 9, 2010