AT WHAT AGE SHOULD I EXPECT MY 4 YR OLD TO DRESS HIMSELF FOR SCHOOL?

EVERY MORNING I WAKE MY CHILDREN ELLEN 16; AMANDA 8; AND ANDREW 4. I DRESS MY 4 YR OLD WHILE HE SLEEPS! I DONT MIND MOST OF THE TIME BUT HE SEEMS SO LITTLE. HOWEVER, I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HIM DO IT FOR HIMSELF....ANY SUGGESTIONS MOMS?

Easycrusher

Asked by Easycrusher at 9:58 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• first off wake him up.....teach him?

i personally dont mind. i dressed my SS while he was sleeping until he was probably 5 sometimes. ha ha. now, i still help him get dressed and even his sister sometimes just because they like it and I dont mind. they can do it themselves, but I think they like getting the help and relaxing a little more in the mornings.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:03 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• wait until summer comes and when he wakes by his natural alarm clock-- start slow-- ask him to do one thing at a time-- maybe you can do his underwear and shirt and hand him his jeans or sweats and go "can you try this yourself? when you get them on we can..... you fill in the blank--- go to the park worked for me he knew if he got those bottoms on we were off to play on the swings!
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:03 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• my 3 kids were dressing themselves by 2 yrs old i always had them help me before then so in the process they learn,i did that with the kids i watched in my daycare to its helpful just have him help u as u go along make him grab his clothes and help him with his pants shirt and so forth but let him do as much as he can he may get frustrated but thats the learnig process good luck!
    coffeefreak996

Answer by coffeefreak996 at 10:17 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I want some of what you moms are having. With my almost-3 year-old, if I had to dress her in her sleep, I'd have to set my alarm for 5:30 to do that!!! She knows how to dress herself, though she still gets things backwards and her fashion sense is... original. I let her pick out her clothes a lot of the time, but sometimes I feel the need to get her to wear the other 95% of the clothes she has in her dresser that aren't her "favorites."
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:22 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Oh, i would start right now. It's so important for them to feel independent especially at this age. Start off slow like putting on socks or a shirt and then work your way up, just don't say anything when they do it all backwards!
    bubbles1893

Answer by bubbles1893 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My son was dressing himself at age 1 1/2. I think its time!
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 10:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• If you don't start teaching him soon you may end up having a child that is refusing to get dressed at the age of 8.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 10:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• He's four for crying out loud. Don't you want to be a mom to him?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• whts the trick to get ur 1 1/2 year old to dress themselves?
    i need it...lol
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 2:14 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I have 4 year old b/g twins and they are very different from each other. My daughter was dressing herself by 2. She's very independent. My son on the other hand, well he can dress himself and lately he's been doing it a lot more, but he still wants help when he can get it. On school mornings I get their clothes layed out for them, but for the most part they dress themselves...unless we are running late and then I will just through the clothes on them to save time. But I think IMO, by 4 most kids should have the ability to dress themselves.
    mauspond

Answer by mauspond at 6:10 AM on Apr. 10, 2010