tell me why you love cloth diapers and hate disposables

i told my boyfriend that i want to use cloth diapers. He thinks the idea of a cloth diaper is gross so help me convince him that they are better. tell me why you love cloth and hate disposables

aliishott2

Asked by aliishott2 at 10:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't prefer one over the other. If I was in a situation where I could use cloth diapers and clean them regularly when my DD was born, I definately would have used them. I just recently moved to a place with a washer=] I have thought about switching & I actually might. Disposables are draining my pockets, especially with the amount of diapers my DD goes through lol.
    Tell him cloth diapers are less expensive and better for the environment!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I am currently making the switch from disposables to cloth. I decided to switch because in the long run its cheaper and easier on my son. Investing $200 in cloth diapers is the equivalent of 5 months of disposables for us. But we can use those cloth diapers pretty much from infancy to potty training. So there is the economy of it. Then we have the no- chemical side. I hate putting the chemicals from disposables on my little one, especially when he has a heavy pee day and it kind of explodes all over his tummy! Those are my main reasons. I know there are all kinds of "green" benefits but to be completely honest, its just easier for us to use cloth.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:57 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I don't understand the whole cloth diapering. What happens when the child goes? How does their clothes not get wet and dirty? Do you put plastic over the diaper or what?
    Anonymous

• The diapers that I use are all in ones (AIO's). They have a waterproof layer. It's just like a disposable, but out of cloth. Many have velcro and many others have snaps. I prefer the snaps but everyone has their preferences. I made the switch at 13-14 months, and did it for financial reasons. If you've got a washer, then it's pretty easy.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• the way i look at it is if your child is in cloth diapers when u try to potty train them and put them in panties/underware they will jsut pee through them thinking its a cloth diaper.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Wow Anon above me has thought way too much into this and has little faith in a child's intelligence. Believe me kids know the difference between a diaper and underwear.

Actually most cloth diapered babies potty train early too.

I woudl recommend joining the Cuties with cloth booties board here on CM. They have useful information about CD'ing.

I used disposables with my first two kids but with this one I CD. It's great.

Oh and I hate germs LOL but don't have an issue CD'ing. It's no different than washing all that poop baby clothes when your child is a newborn. Good thing with CD's is usually you don't have blowouts too. If your baby is breastfed it's the easiest. No rinsing etc...Just toss in the washer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I started cloth diapering for two reasons, the first being that we would save money in the longrun, and the second being that the impact on the environment is less with cloth than it is with disposables. 

I used disposables for about 3 weeks after DS was born and was put off by the smell of the plastic and having it sit directly on his sensitive skin.  To me, it made more sense to have a natural fibre "down there" than it did to have a non-natural plasticky material.

There are tons of different brands out there, so if you're looking to move to cloth take a look around.  I was on a super budget so ended up buying a bundle pack of covers and diapers from Real Nappies USA and they were perfect.  Here's a link - http://www.realnappiesusa.com/cloth-diaper-all-you-need-packs.html

Good luck!  Cloth diapering is a fun and addictive journey!

mynaturalbaby

Answer by mynaturalbaby at 6:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I don't hate disposables... but I do love cloth. My DD is 22 months and my DS is 6 months. We just made the switch in May and I love it. I waited so long, bc the thought of cleaning the poopy diapers and the extra laundry made me cringe. In reality, the laundry isn't bad, and cleaning the poopy diapers isn't either. Really hardly more work than a disposable (especially since you're technically supposed to dump the poop out of a disposable anyway). Not to mention how much cheaper it is.
    Georgie0502

Answer by Georgie0502 at 6:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2010