Breastfeeding and Slimfast.

Is it okay to breastfeed while drinking slimfast shakes? I mean does the drink actually contain something that can harm the baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Not that I know of. I'm on the Atkins diet and drink Atikins shakes and eat Atikins bars all day and I'm breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

• No they don't have any weight loss stuff in them.
    They're just meal replacements.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 10:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• They are safe but be careful about dieting while breastfeeding. Its one of the quickest ways to dry up your milk. You are supposed to take in more calories while breastfeeding because of your milk production. Personally I would drink them as a sweet snack but not as a meal replacement.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:57 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I know about dieting and breastfeeding but I kinda did it with oldest ds. I ate but not a lot and I was able to breastfeed him until he was almost 3.
    Anonymous

• Oh thats great! Well do what works for you. I hope I can be like that.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:07 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Instead of slimfast, make a smoothie with frozen blueberries, kale, kiwi and plain yogurt.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:16 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I like rkoloms response the best. Slim Fast has sooo much sugar in it. I would never touch the stuff. Try making a smoothie out of fresh fruits & veggies. That way you're supplying your body with fresh healthy nutrients. I'm not sure if you can do whey or soy protein powders while nursing but I love to add them to my smoothies for an extra protein boost as well.
    Anonymous

• Slimfast will not harm your baby if anything it will add vitiamns you might be lacking.I hope that you are eating the proper food needed to breastfeed on top and not trying to loose weight just drinking slimfast.
    cat260

Answer by cat260 at 1:41 AM on Apr. 12, 2010