Allergy testing so confused please help

My 3 year old had skin prick allergy testing done this week. It showed tree pollen grass pollen dust mites cats ragweed, all things I expected. But then the unexpected. They told me that he is allergic to corn, beef, pecans, and peanuts. He has been eating corn and beef since he was eating them in baby food. He has been eating peanuts and peanut butter since he was a year old. I have never seen a reaction! When I told the dr. this she said that it could be a false positive. I don't know what to think!! Anyone have advice?

NDNichol

Asked by NDNichol at 10:37 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Kids' Health

• this is me i would take him to the doctor and get him tested and see i found out my daughter is allergic to berry's big time she brakes out in hives and a fever bad but me i would get him tested
    Anonymous

• I did have him tested that is where it showed up. He has not ever had a reaction
    NDNichol

Answer by NDNichol at 11:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• You can grow immune to things you are allergic to in some cases. Any skin tests are not 100% accurate. If you feel your child is safe with those items, then probably they are safe things. My DD is allergic to all the above you listed plus dairy and eggs, and all tree nuts. If she eats these things she get hives or severe eczema reaction, sometimes vomiting. Though corn isn't as bad, and more mild reaction.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 11:23 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Try a blood test. My son has several food allergies and we did the skin test, a patch test, and blood work. we also did food challenges when the tests came out negative just to be sure, and he would still have a reaction. I think the skin test can be unreliable because they are sticking you with so many allergens at once that your body kind wigs out. MY DS turned up allergic to peas, melon and celery one time after being poked with like 10 different allergens. So doc said to wait a week or so and then slowly add the foods back into his diet and see if there is a reaction. Also, the reactions don't have to be eczema, hives, breathing. it could be stomach upset or diarrhea, or some mild itching. My DS is 6 now and his first testing was done at 1. feel free to PM with any questions.

tomib

Answer by tomib at 11:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Have a RAST test done for IgE & IgG. It's done by blood draw. It may be that internally it is not quite an allergy. You may be seeing a reaction but not in the typical sense. For example, my son is highly sensitive to eggs, dairy, wheat & soy. He had no traditional reaction. However, his behavior and learning abilities were impaired. Once these were removed, it was like flipping on a light switch.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• My son had an allergy test and he know he has issues w/ milk and soy (it causes blood in stool!!!) yet the skin prick test showed he wasn't allergic to it yet he was to eggs which he eats eggs ALL THE TIME. So they disregarded the egg part as a fals positive. Also my son has delayed reactions to those foods and we need another test done for delayed reactions. I would just continue to feed him those things if you are comfortable and have him tested for them again in about 6 months or so.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 6:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Thanks! He doesn't get hives or skin rashes or any stomach problems. The zrytec they have him now for seasonal allergies causes constipation. If he was truly allergic to corn wouldn't corn syrup, corn fiber, corn in cereals and chips cause a reaction? He does not like just regular corn.
    NDNichol

Answer by NDNichol at 7:20 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Get a second opinion.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 2:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Read Doris Rapp, MD book. She explains that even if your child doesn't have medical conditions that would should that he have an allergy, some kids actually show signs of allergies on their academics. Sounds crazy! Her book narrates how a child who couldn't draw all of a sudden after he was treated for his allergies he became a Picaso sort of speaking.
    Anonymous

• I didnt know they still did the skin prick tests anymore. My kids have both had allergy panels ran but their's were both through blood. I would have a blood test done because it will actually tell you what class of the allergy (how severe) they have.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:52 PM on Apr. 12, 2010