Please help! Im so confused by allergy testing results!

My 3 year old had skin prick allergy testing done this week. It showed tree pollen grass pollen dust mites cats ragweed, all things I expected. But then the unexpected. They told me that he is allergic to corn, beef, pecans, and peanuts. He has been eating corn and beef since he was eating them in baby food. He has been eating peanuts and peanut butter since he was a year old. I have never seen a reaction! When I told the dr. this she said that it could be a false positive. I don't know what to think!! Anyone have advice?

NDNichol

Asked by NDNichol at 10:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When I had allergy testing as an adult they told me I was allergic to tons of things that I have never had a reaction to. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    Anonymous

• Thank you!
    NDNichol

Answer by NDNichol at 11:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• Reactions could be as simple as runny nose or cough or ear issues...not always hives and such.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• He has seasonal allergies so right now it is hard to tell about runny nose. I have not noticed any of these foods causing this.
    NDNichol

Answer by NDNichol at 7:18 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Reactions could also be gastro-intestinal. Does he have a history of runny poops? They could indeed be false positives... But allergies come in all kinds of degrees, and so they may be there, but not severe. That doesn't mean they can't get better or worse... My friend's son ate yogurt and cheese for a long time with symptoms that they took a long time to notice. Now if he eats something cooked with a little butter he has an anaphylactic reaction. At the same time, he was highly allergic to peanuts and now seems to have outgrown it. With the nuts, especially, I would cut them out entirely until you see a test showing that he is not allergic. It's a scary one.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:05 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• He has no history of runny poops or constipation. He has not history of rash or hives. No breathing problems. No itching of mouth or throat, no swelling of mouth or throat. I had him allergy tested because his allergies in the spring are so severe and the same in the fall. Occasionally he will be bothered in the summer or winter but not all the time.
    NDNichol

Answer by NDNichol at 5:02 PM on Apr. 11, 2010