taking the binky away

ok my daughter has had a binky since she was born and shes super attached to it,helf the time she holds it in her mouth and doesnt suck on it.She'll be 1 on the 20th and I was wondering when i should try to break her of it and how to do it,I mean she wont sleep without it and she reaches for it in her sleep.plz help

alaina_20

Asked by alaina_20 at 10:50 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just start by only allowing it at naps and at night. That's how we did it. We took it away during the day. Then when she hit too, we took it away and had her go without it cold turkey and it only took a few days for her to get used to it. And she was really attached to it too. She was a premie and it was the only thing that allowed her to be calm enough to get enough sleep.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Anon. Just slowly only letting her have it at certain times during the day. I know for me, my mom cut the tip off so whenever I would put it in my mouth, I wouldn't like it and I was done. But if she isn't always sucking on it, I don't know if she would notice that.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:57 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I dont think its a big deal for them to have the binky, I guess Im a little different then most parents. I didnt take my sons away untill he was 3 yrs and 2 months and now he just sucks on his thumb. My husband and I felt it was time for it to go cause he has a speech delay and it now that hes picking up speed really well we thought the binky would just slow him down. The thumb sucking isnt a big deal to me either cause I did some research and it said that as long as he isnt doing it once his permenent teeth come in or not as much then he will be fine.Plus unlike the binky he doesnt have his thumb in his mouth 24/7. But If you are adement about taking it away then I would take it anywhere from now till the age of 2. And I agree with the other moms on just giving it at nap time and bed time that way your not stripping it from her all togeather, thats really hard on them. GL
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:18 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• My 16 month old still uses his for naps and at night. We restricted it to his crib when he was around 1 and he's done fine with it. He knows it's there and will reach for it when I lay him down to sleep. I don't really mind him having it until he's at least 2 - my older one had one to sleep until he was 2 1/2. But keeping it in the crib would be the first step.

Answer by missanc at 9:15 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Restrict it to only having it in the crib. If she is still using it in the crib when she turns 2, then you can re-evaluate and see if you want to take it away 100%
    Some babies have a really strong need to suck that continues well into the 2nd year. There is no problem with letting her continue to use the binky for comfort in bed.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2010