my 2yo does NOT know how to be quiet around nb brother!

my 24mo dd does not know how to control her volume & it is becoming a big problem. she has a newborn brother & every time she comes around him, she screams "BABY!!" and yells "CRYING!!" when he starts to cry. she doesn't mean any harm because she's very happy & excited when she comes around him, she just shows it by being very very loud. when i tell her to whisper or be quiet, she gets mad or sad like her feelings got hurt & cries even louder than she was being before. it's getting to be difficult because i have to keep them in separate rooms all the time & can't watch them both at the same time. (the nearest room to play in is across the house, other rooms aren't baby safe--MIL's breakables everywhere) how do i teach her to be quiet? i try to make it a fun whisper game but she gets excited & gets loud anyway.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Apr. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you let her continue, then, you will guarentee that you son will be able to sleep though a trnado and ahilstorm. LOL I would just let her be, whispering always around ababy means baby will not sleep or be content unless it is always quiet. I made sure with my son that I didn't titoe around. I vacuumed and everything. He can still sleep good.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:48 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

• I agree with pp. I would just let her be. I have two boys, a 3 year old and a 2 year old. There was no way on earth I could have kept them quiet when I brought their baby sister home this past August. Kids will be kids and kids can be loud. Now I will tell them to use inside voices once in awhile. but when they are playing I just let them be. My daughter is now 8 months old, she sleeps through anything. In fact dh also plays rock band really loud or watches a movie really loud after they go to bed and no one stirs. You want the baby used to noise.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• If you keep making it a big deal she will start to resent him. Just let her be my son hasn't been quiet one day in the two years my daughter has been here she just got used to him
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• These mommies are right. I will be in your situation soon and I'm glad you posted this question!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:20 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Just let her be loud. The baby will get use to it. Trust me on that one, I have 3 kids, and there was never a quiet moment in the house once the 3rd one came along. They all can sleep through ANYTHING now LOL
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 6:19 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• As all the pp have said, the baby will get used to it. We have 3 and 2 year olds as well as a 4 month old. They wouldn't leave him alone at first. That bothered him for a couple of weeks. Now he can sleep through anything - including the vacuum. We did the same thing when the second was born. She is a great sleeper.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 10:13 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• congrats!! and welcome to the 'club' of life with a toddler and a newborn... My 10 day old daughter sleeps through my 2 year old daughter's screaming in excitement of seeing her baby sister...
    it'll get better eventually, when the excitement wears down...

hanniwrencher

Answer by hanniwrencher at 10:30 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• It is not realistic to expect her to be quiet; the up side is that your baby should develop the ability to sleep through significant noise.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:36 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• What did you expect when you had babies so close together, momma? Don't make her be quiet.. that's VERY unrealistic! Instead, he will eventually learn how to sleep through most of it. :) Put him in another room when he is sleeping, so she can't see him.
    i.heart.rachel

Answer by i.heart.rachel at 11:48 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• No offense but your oldest is still a toddler and she is just doing things that are age appropriate. The baby will learn to sleep through the noise anyways,
    Cassidysmom611

Answer by Cassidysmom611 at 12:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2010