locking the door

I am tempted to put a lock on the outside of my kids' door to keep them from getting into stuff. My room and theirs is connected by a door with no lock but I would lock my door from the inside. So they can go in between the two rooms. They keep getting into stuff and try to go outside in the middle of the night and when I take a shower. I don't want to keep them locked in their room all day just at night so I can hear them when they try to unlock my door and be able to listen out for them better when I am in the shower.
And if you want to know we spend most of our time downstairs or outside during the day and usually only go upstairs to sleep or for time out.
Someone told me this was child abuse and not to do it cause CPS could be called on me. Is this really child abuse and does this make me a bad parent for thinking of doing this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• All mine are on the outside I got tired of them locking themselves ib rooms
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Yes cps can be called. How ever if your room conjoins and you only lock it at night I would take the risk. My kids do the same if my rooms conjoined with theirs I would give it a shot.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:12 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I have a CPS case and my kid's room has a lock on it. It doesn't connect to any other room. It is there to keep my 2 year old out while my 11 month old is sleeping. I don't know if my case worker saw it but if he did he didn't say anything.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 12:22 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• quit taking a shower while they are up and alone. Put chains on the doors leading outside high enough they can't get to them. yes locking them in a room is illegal and cps can be called
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I worry more that it's a fire hazard... I know we plan on putting locks on the doors (not bedroom ones) once our little one gets bigger to keep him out of rooms (childproofing) so I doubt it's the actual lock part but the act of locking them in that people are concerned with.
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 12:47 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• It is illegal, CPS will take action if they are called, and it is a saftey hazard.. What if there is a fire and your children can't get out of their rooms? What if your child chokes on something while you are in the shower and can't get out to get your attention? If they go out at night put another lock on the door, or put an alarm on it.. Put an alarm or a bell on their door so you can hear them if they open it..
    I am not bashing your parenting methods, but maybe instead of locking them in their rooms, you could teach them that YOU are the parent and going outdoors without you're ok is NOT ok? I am not suggesting that you are a bad parent, but I am suggesting that as a parent it is your job to set rules and enforce them.. Children will always test their boundries, it is up to us as parents to set and stick to them..

Just my opinion..
    Mad_Hexer

Answer by Mad_Hexer at 8:58 AM on Apr. 10, 2010