circumcision-- gauze & vaseline?

my son was circumcised today & the doctor wrapped his winkie in a thin yellow gauze strip coated in vaseline (eggroll style). he said to leave the gauze on for 3 days, don't touch it, don't remove it, don't replace it, just leave it alone. a few hours after we got home, i changed his wet diaper & the gauze strip came off. the doc said it would be very painful if it came off & just re-roll it around his penis if it comes off. i'm concerne that it won't stay on & will continue to come off & be painful to my son. would a regular gauze pad & vaseline be just as effective if i run out of the little yellow strips. i was only given 2 extra & i don't think they sell those at stores.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds weird, when my sons was done I was told to change it at every single diaper changing! Wet down the penis a little bit and wipe around it only but then apply a VERY large amount of vaseline to a new clean gauze pad and put it on him. Never caused pain or anything like that.
    Miss.Cullen

Answer by Miss.Cullen at 1:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• when my first and second son had it done it came off also....i just put gobs and gobs of vaseline on the winkine and it was just fine dont worry mama just gob it up
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 12:33 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I was never told to leave the gauze on. Just to put neosporin on it.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 12:35 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I just left my sons alone it didn't have gauze on it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Neither of my sons ever had gauze on them?!! I put a lot of vaseline on the diaper so it wouldn't stick and they were both fine. I have honestly never heard that before.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:58 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I think the gauze fell off the 2nd day for our son. We kept it wet with vaseline for a long time-- actually got tubes of the stuff for easier application, and allowed it to heal very very slowly. I wouldn't mess with it any more than necessary. I imagine it's quite sensitive, and the idea of trying to reapply gauze when you really don't know what you're doing might do more harm than good. If in doubt, though, call the pediatrician!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 1:06 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I didn't have gause either, just tons of vasaline.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:22 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• my son never had gauze on his wee wee, doctor told me to just put a bunch of vaseline on it every time i changed his diaper
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• This is probably why I decided not to circumcise my son. It doesn't require special care, vaseline etc...The foreskin is fused to the glans and that's pretty much about it. Just leave the foreskin alone. Amputation isn't the way to go.
    sandy_hihi

Answer by sandy_hihi at 7:41 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• With my first two son's they did a "bell" type circ that was much easier to take care of! But with my youngest they did the gauze thing and once we went home they just said to put vaseline on it to keep the diaper from sticking.

Answer by missanc at 9:12 AM on Apr. 10, 2010