adoption prices?

Thinking of adding a puppy/dog (age doesn't matter) I started checking human societies on-line in my area and found a dog that is 1 to 2 years old. I was so excited, than I recieved an email back she is going to cost $250. Am I wrong but this seems like a lot for a mixed breed dog? There is another shelter that adopts for $45 in the area but they only have males which dh & I agreed after the male cat we have no more male animals will be brought into the family. Now I am bummed, I was thinking around $100.

mom-2-4boys

Asked by mom-2-4boys at 12:38 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Pets

• look in the paper too. if youre not that worried about age or breed. sometimes they have free ones. we looked at dogs yesterday and the one we really liked was 300! i was like omg! i dont see how they can charge that much for a dog.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:42 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• We heard the shelter was gonna be putting a dog down if someone didn't adopt her so we went in and they still wanted $250 for her!!! We didn't have the money unfortunately. I was outraged!!! They change $100 for cats when you can get them for free in the paper any day of the week!! Crazy!
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:55 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Oh yeah and she was a 10 year old mutt!! WTH!!??
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:56 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• It costs money to run rescue groups. I foster puppies and we put way more money into their vet visits, medicine and spaying than we get for the $200 adoption fee.

Just make sure it's legit! Any backyard breeder can call themselves a rescue!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• The sad part is this shelter has the date of the picture being taken in July, so she has been there over 10 months. We have 2 pure breed dogs, I just thought we could give a home to a shelter so at least one would get a new home, but I can't pay that much. DH would kill me if I spent that much on a shelter dog, I thought he was gonna have a heart attack when I brought home the bulldog. Also they have her listed as a possible dachshound/min. pincher mix, but she has the sweetest eyes.
    I realize it cost money to run a shelter, but I also know vets give the shots and spay/neut. for very cheap (next to nothing) here for the shelter dogs.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 1:10 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Maybe come up with a list of expenses that are included.

Does the more expensive dog come with the spay/neuter and all her shots? No sense in spending $100 less to just spend $200 more on things that could have been included with the more expensive dog.

Please adopt from some kind of rescue though!
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 1:17 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Why are you getting a dog if you can't afford it? The costs don't end there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• It's not that I can't afford it, but it makes me wonder why people should adopt from a shelter if a pure breed (where you can see both parents, recieve a health cert. ect.) does not cost much more. I mean both dogs need homes, right? But mainly I guess I was just surprised by the price that one shelter can offer a dog for 45 and the next for 250 almost as if they make up a price as they go along since both come with shots up to date and spay/neut.
    Also is this the practice at most shelters or is it because I was going through petfinder?
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 1:58 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• A lot of shelters will charge this. I think it just dpends on the area and also the type of shleter because some rescues do more for the animals then others. But that adoption fee will go towards the next animal that comes into the shelter but will not even cover everythign that it might need. These shelters stay open because of the donations and adoption fees so I think it is very reasonable. I would be more willing to pay this fee at at shelter then I ever would for a mixed breed from a "breeder".
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:14 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I adopted a dog (mixed breed) from a humane society and paid $250 for him. He is a great dog, came microchipped and neutured. We went to the local dog shelter where we currently live and they charge $45 for their dogs. They are neutured but not chipped. I think a lot of the difference is the area that we live in. The more expensive dog was in Seattle and the new one is in upstate NY. The kennel quality was also a lot better at the first one. We just got a lot more for our money at the humane society than it looks like we'd get at the dog shelter.

Oh, We will definitely be getting a rescue pup, just need to find the right one!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:08 AM on Apr. 10, 2010