My 4 year old daughter's first game is tommorow, Thursday she didnt practice because I lost my keys and couldnt go. Tommorow is her first Soccer game and last time she practiced she was grabbing the ball, should I let her go to her first game and hope for the best or should I let her practice more?

She has to miss next weeks game btw because of a party.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i would probably pull her out of soccer and try again later. You don't sound very committed and it's not fair to your daughter. that's JMHO.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:26 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• let her go mom,,,one practice behind,,,let her shine. If she has a good game or a bad game, one practice really coudnt have changed the outcome,,enjoy the day and go team!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• At that age, they all try and grab the ball, they all just run after the ball like a swarm of flies - except for the couple off to the side looking at butterflies and dandelions! Seriously my two older boys both played soccer when they were 4 and my niece played last year when she was 3 and it was the same for each of their teams. It's acutally really cute and as long as it's a non-competitive league she'll be fine.

But you really do have to decide if you are willing to make the commitment on her behalf to get her to all her practices and games. Because she's part of a team and they are counting on her being there. My oldest son's first year many of his teammates dropped out and it really made it less fun when the couldn't sub out and take breaks. It's very unfair to the rest of the team if you can't fully commit to being there - and what does it teach your daughter about commitment?
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:01 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I've got boys in soccer at 2, 5 and 7 and I can tell you that they don't expect a lot from the kids at that age other than to have fun.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 2:26 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• She is 4. They aren't expected to know what to do. My almost 4 year old does the same thing - along with most of her team. It's normal.

Like the pp said, you don't sound like you are committed to taking her and are finding excuses to not have to bring her. It's not fair to her teammates to have her keep missing practices and games. You either need to make a commitment to bring her to all practices/games or pull her.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 10, 2010