3 year old DD "humping" chair arms

my DD is 3 and she'll get on the couch or chair arm and "hump" it. When she first started doing this, I thought maybe she was itchy down there, now she does it kind of often. SOmetimes it's when she is tired, making me think she is trying to stay awake, but other times it's just random. Is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Lol!!! I actually got told I was a "disgusting pig" for asking this on Baby-Gaga. Basically, one day I walked into the bedroom where Noah was sleeping on the bed (we co-sleep) and he was grabbing his diaper and "humping" lol on his stomach. I just kind of laughed and backed away slowly.
    Generally, researchers say that children as young as a year old can touch themselves for pleasure (not sexually of course). All they know is that it "feels good" and they do it. It's not deviant or "gross". It's just like the first time you tasted sugar. You knew it "tasted good" but you didn't eat it because it was "candy". Innocent. Totally innocent. I remember rubbing up on the coffee table when I was really young. My parents just used to laugh and turn around and walk away.
    It's normal. Don't worry!!
    tiptopgurl88

Answer by tiptopgurl88 at 2:22 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I have seen a few questions like this on here. It does freak me out, but like the pp said it feels good and often they are soothing themselves. I notice it seems most kids do it when tired.

My daughter was like rolling on her hands. It got to be to the point though she was doing non stop, all day. We were putting her in her room for naps and she would do it so long and get sweaty and fall asleep and then she would do it after her nap and in the morning and at night....it was getting too much. We cut her naps out to break the habit and it has seemed to help. Now I never see her doing it. So phew at least the novelty wore off. She is a sensory seeker though ( has spd) so she constantly is seeking stimulation from her senses. I am worried when she is a teen and gets horny !!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• My kids have all done that every one tells me it's a phase and normal. My four yr old just stopped on her own. Give it time it will be fine.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:41 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Could be a yeist infection if it isn't tht then ya she likes how it feels...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Apr. 15, 2010