Is this normal? My poor baby!

Every single one of my sons diapers is poopy! He is bottle fed and is 3 weeks old. My first son pooped a lot when he was breastfed and when we switched to formula he would go 3-4 days without pooping so I can't understand why my new baby poops so much on formula. He HATES getting his diaper changed too. Just cries and cries. It is so sad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you use a wipe warmer? It made a big difference with my DD.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 2:17 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• OP here-No, I have one but I thought since I can't have it with me all the time why use it? But maybe I'll start using it at home and see if it helps, thanks. That might help with the fussiness but I am wondering if there is something wrong making him poop so much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• uh. ...even a FF baby should poop at least 3 times a day. your first son's reaction to the switch to formula was not healthy.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:20 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• OP again-I called my first sons pediatrician when he went 3-4 days and she said it was normal. But my newborn is pooping more like 10 times a day!! Even more some days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Well newborns poop a lot. I have had 3 kids and early on they had a poop in every diaper change pretty much.

Not to be snarky but you didn't stop breastfeeding hoping he would stop pooping so much did you ?

If his poops have increased since being on formula he maybe have an allergy to dairy or something. That is the problem with formula you could end up with a lot more stomach issues. Is it mucosy ?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Or has he been on formula the whole time ?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Normal does not mean healthy.
    Obesity is "normal" in the united states, but it certainly is not healthy.

sorry. i wish i had advice to help your baby, but i only know that people (yes, even adults) are supposed to poop 2-4 times a day.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:40 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• OP here-I breastfed for the first week until I was put on a med that is unsafe while breastfeeding. Yes it has increased since the switch and it's like diarrhea. I'm thinking he hates diaper changes because it probably hurts and burns. I feel so bad for him!! I'm thinking maybe I should bring him in in case it is an allergy. Thanks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Last Anon:

Yeah I think maybe allergy....especially since it's diarhhea and he is on formula. Those poops are usually firmer.

Dairy allergies or lactose intolerance is not rare. People were not made to eat dairy and you will find a lot of people have had issues. I think that could be the culprit. I would take him in the, good luck !!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• My first dd did that and threw up a lot we had to put her on a diff formula that might help. We used the rice fortified stuff it worked wonders. Good luck hope I could help.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:36 AM on Apr. 10, 2010