My newborn son doesn't grasp my finger....

Should I be worried? I asked the doctor at his 2 weeks appt about it and she didn't seem concerned but my other child would grasp your finger tightly right away and I thought babies always did that...

Asked by jenae_gist at 3:31 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wait til 6-8weeks, if he isn't doing what the book says then ask a bit more. At this age there is absolutely nothing you can do, just love him up. My baby never crawled, she went right from sitting and shuffling on her butt and then walking. People carried on and made a big deal and she is now a very normal (hormonal) 13 yr old. Not doing or meeting one milestone is not a big deal. If the pile up. then you might have a problem. It is just a grasp. Does he try to find you with his eyes. or scratch at his face. Those are deliberate movements too.

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:16 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• **they**

• Yes he does the other things. Thank you!

Answer by jenae_gist at 1:39 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I think Baby books and how-to parent books ought to be banned sometimes, they make us worry more than give us peace of mind. If he is doing those things, maybe he just doesn't wanna hold hands yet :-)

Answer by myheartx4 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2010