what exactly is clomid and what does it do?

I was thinking about talking to my doctor in a few weeks when I go in for my annual. I was wanting to know what exactly clomid is, what it does, if it works, and how long it took to work. Any info about it really would help. Also did you only get it after more than a year of ttc or before a year? Thanks.

Bamzakarat

Asked by Bamzakarat at 3:56 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• This medication is used to treat infertility in women. It works by stimulating an increase in the amount of hormones that support the growth and release of a mature egg (ovulation).

Here's some info on it: http://infertility.about.com/od/infertilitytreatments/a/clomid101.htm

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• The dfirst replyer had it right. It helps to create a healthy folicle for you.
    I went on clomid shortly before one year of TTC. I actually got pregnant on the first round of clomid so I got very lucky
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:39 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• The info provided above is great! And most often times yes, you need to be trying at least a yr before they will give you fertility drugs unless they establish you have a fertility issue. It shouldn't be used just to make you get pregnant faster if you have no issues. It does have repurcussions!
    Anonymous