Recipes needed for new Single Dad - also posted in Just for Fun

My friend has just become a suddenly single Dad to 4 kiddoes aged 3-12. He is trying hard and wants easy recipes for what to give them for Dinner. I know that to some of us it is as simple as meat and three veg, but if you have a recipe that he can throw together and into the oven when he gets home from work please post it. Kids aren't too fussy and there are no allergies. He is a great guy, and his wife ( now off on a life-adventure) did all the cooking

myheartx4

Asked by myheartx4 at 4:59 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Food & Drink

• not sure what a life adventure is but there are some groups on here that have awesome recipes .. try http://www.cafemom.com/group/9604 and http://www.cafemom.com/group/95814 and http://www.cafemom.com/group/13854 to start
    ahyesme

Answer by ahyesme at 5:31 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Life adventure = I feel too married - I think I need to go backpacking for a few years and abandon my kids.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:02 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Wow, poor guy! One VERY easy recipe that my hard to feed kids gobble up is egg noodles with canned corned beef. Add a stick of butter and some parmesan cheese to 1 bag of cooked egg noodles and a can of the corned beef. Stir together. Serve with a side of saute-ed green beans, or mix the green beans in. I know it's not the most healthy, but it's good for every once in a while when you need something quick and easy.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 7:12 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Send me a message offlist if you would like some simple heathy recipes and time-saving tips

Answer by rkoloms at 8:04 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I have a quick meals and make-ahead meals section, also a 1 pot meals section (stuff you can make and then freeze and then bake)

daniellecooks.wordpress.com

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:01 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Mrsdash.com has a lot of easy recipes there that are healthy too.

That sucks that she would do that and I hope the best for him.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 11:54 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Shame on the wife leaving him and the kiddies like that.

Recipe: Ground beef - cook over stove still brown
    Mushroom Soup(2 big cans - boil in pot
    Corn(3 cans) - cook in pot with a little butter

Add all of them together and serve with rice and you have a wonderful easy to put together meal.
    Poetique_Mommy

Answer by Poetique_Mommy at 3:11 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• One my family really likes - Brown 1lb. lean ground beef , cook 1 package of egg noodles. In a bowl, add beef, noodles, 1 can tomato soup, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, mix together and put in a glass pan. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes. Add shredded cheese on the top after you take it out of the oven.....so yummy!!!!!!!!

Crock pot meals are always good too. Place several chicken breasts in the cp, add a little water and a packet of taco seasoning. Cook 7-8 hrs on low. We like to shred the chicken on tortillas with tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, and lettuce.
    mom2twingirl797

Answer by mom2twingirl797 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• My SO made lots of dinners at the end of my pregnancy & after we came home from the hospital. Some of them were:

Chicken stir fry - he used frozen veggies, so there was no prep for that. All he had to do was cut up chicken (he could even buy chicken already cut up for stir fry), brown it in some vegetable oil, then throw in whatever variety of frozen vegetable seems appealing, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic (also sold minced in a jar). Serve over brown rice or whole wheat noodles - yum!

Turkey meatloaf - ground turkey mixed with 1/2 cup plain oatmeal, garlic, parsley, parmesean cheese, basil, and 2 egg whites. Stuff into a loaf pan, top with some pasta sauce (we like Newman's Own Roasted Garlic) and pop in a preheated (350) oven and cook for about 30 minutes. We serve with brown rice & a veggie.

Chicken & pasta are easy (use whole wheat). Tell him to just remember protein, veggie, and a whole grain.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2010