Anyone fail 1-hour glucose test and choose to skip the 3-hour test?

My Background-
pregnant w #3; failed 1-hour gluc test
had lots of stress; not sleeping; iron levels really low; poor diet for wks-from stress & no sleep?
told to take 3-hour test
uterus measures great at 28w
only gained 10 lbs
had 2 normal, 7lb babies, no complications, born before due dates

I’m out of whack, so I don’t trust failed result. Glucose drink=bad reaction & don’t want to flood my system after fasting for 3-hour test. Fasting=vomit, making test invalid. I will not "check sugar and shoot insulin" as a "just in case" treatment. Scheduled diet won’t work. I eat when hungry. If I eat on a schedule, it makes me sick. I cannot eat breakfast-makes me vomit.

Research=conflicting info.
DRs differing opinions-
fast or no fast for test
disagree on "normal" range
differ on treatments, if any
no proof that ANY treatment actually has real affect on baby at birth.

Everything el

sjjeaster

Asked by sjjeaster at 5:04 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I know several people that failed the 1 hr test but passed the 3 hr test. IF you fail the 3 hr test, they won't necessarily put you on insulin immediately. You will probably be required to monitor your blood sugars throughout the day for a week or two and be given a chance to work with a diet before the doctor would make a decision to have you use insulin or not.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I don't understand why you wouldn't just do the test, it's 3 hrs and it is to protect the baby and you... seems like a no-brainer to me
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:11 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• OP here--got cut off

My question(s) =

Do I trust a test result when so many things were out of whack with my system at the time of original test?

Should I go waste an entire morning ATTEMPTING to take the test since I KNOW I will puke and invalidate it due to the fact that I'd have to fast before it? I was allowed to eat before the original one, so that helped me NOT puke with it.

Also, there is not enough REAL data on whether these tests are even reliable, so are there any RELIABLE alternatives?

I don't even take headache meds unless it's really bad, so without a RELIABLE diagnosis, I will not medicate myself (and my baby) on a "just in case" basis.
    sjjeaster

Answer by sjjeaster at 5:22 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Sound like you are over thinking this. Diabetes or Gestational Diabetes is nothing to mess around with. Every pregnancy is different.  The next test will comrirm if you have it or not.  You will have to force yourself to eat better. FOR THE BABY, If for know one else.

Answer by louise2 at 6:22 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• meant confirm

Answer by louise2 at 6:23 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• i would be so scared not to take the test and something really bad happens. take the test. no matter what. take the test. its to protect yourself and your baby and every pregnancy is different. take the test or ask to retake the 1hr under different circumstances.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:26 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Why would you risk your lives?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:05 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Sounds like you are really good at making excuses b/c its something you dont want to have to deal with.

If you feel you are smarter than your Dr....go right ahead. Maybe you should sign up for medical school.

When you are pregnant and have kids, you have to do plenty of things that are hard, time consuming, exhausting, frustrating, dont make much sense, BUT YOU DO THEM ANYWAYS....b/c their is a baby depending on you to make the right decision, not the easy decision.

Sorry, but you sound selfish and uneducated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I failed the 3 hr. & took the 3 hr. because I am not going to do anything to harm my baby! Most people's results turn out finr for the 3 hour. Better safe than sorry!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• My first pregnancy was normal and the second I had gestational diabetes. If I would be pregnant again I would not take either test because of the sugar load I would go straight to monitoring. I don't think those other problems would affect the the test. You should be discussing it with your doctor.
    debyduz

Answer by debyduz at 9:02 AM on Apr. 10, 2010