my breast is engorged, but can't get milk out even with power breast pump.

I had been breastfeeding for the last 6 months no problem. Today my left breast just stop working. It feel engorged and it hurt when press. Everywhere my left breast is soft except the top right corn. It is like something every hard inside. I never have any implant or anything do to my breast. I used hand and hospital grade breast pump to try to get the milk out. I only got less than 1/2 ounce after 1 hour of pumping. Usually I can get 2 to 3 OZ milk no problem when my breast is hard. Is something wrong with my breast?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Health

• It sounds to me like a clogged milk duct. The best way to clear a clogged milk duct is to manually try to express milk in the shower. For some reason the heat from the shower seems to make it easier to unclog the duct. That would also explain why it's hard in only one area. GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Yikes Engorged breasts, that hurts. I had that when I first had my daughter. Warm water soaking the nipple helps. I've heard cabbage helps. Here's a website to help with the cabbage and info on your engorged breasts. http://www.breastfeeding.com/all_about/all_about_engorgement.html
    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4RNWM_enUS318US318&q=cabbage+and+engorged+breasts
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 8:25 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Sounds like a clogged duct; engorgement is usually all over and is rare to occur after supply regulates unless you missed two feedings without pumping. I had one a few weeks ago in the upper right third of my right breast; it got to where I couldn't move my arm without pain. I did warm cloths with hand expression then cold packs to reduce any swelling inside, hand expression in the shower, and tried to position the baby so that she kind of pressed/worked the area while she nursed. No pumps-you need an actual massaging motion on the blocked area to loosen the clog and a pump, regardless of grade, can't do that. Be careful with cabbage, it can cause you to dry up a little. Hot and cold to loosen the clog and reduce swelling in the duct and gentle massage- maybe you can get SO to do that for you ;) It took me about three days to move the clog out, so you should give it some time.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:28 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• That's painful. When I breast-fed both of my sons and experienced being engorged, my laxative nutrientionist said that putting a warm cloth of your breast while massaging it will loosen up the ducts and help to release the milk. Also taking a warm shower while massaging your breast will help as you release some of the milk. Also pump some of the milk out if your baby is not taking much to help relieve your engorging. Best of luck
    Poetique_Mommy

Answer by Poetique_Mommy at 3:00 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I also experienced this and it took over a week before it finally released. I read from many that you could see an almost white head looking thing and had to "pop" it..... this never happened for me. I had to do hot packs several times a day and constant massage of the blocked duct... it was painful and I thougt it would never go away. KEEP BREASTFEEDING on the breast with the blocked duct!! And keep massaging it especially in the shower.
    hollysybb

Answer by hollysybb at 12:39 AM on Apr. 11, 2010