MIL doesn't speak English too well. Should I learnSpanish?

I've been with my husband for a while. She has no plans on learning English even though this is the USA lol. So should I take Spanish lessons? Our relationship suffers because of the language barrier.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• sure... why not. then you'll know if she's talking about you in spanish. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• You will win her over if you did try to speak her language, yes I think you should it would be too your benefit in more ways than one!

Answer by older at 7:57 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Your MIL sounds like my grandmother. She was in the country for many years, and never learned the english language. My mom never learned spanish when speaking to my grandmother. I never learned spanish like my sister and cousins did. My grandmother and I communicate the best we could without learning the other's language. You can learn a new language if you want, but if she doesn't want to learn english, are you willing to learn another language for her?
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 8:21 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I say go for it. I've been working on learning Greek for the last few years- DH is Greek, and his whole family speaks English, but they prefer to speak Greek and it drives me nuts when I don't know what they're saying! Plus, it's an interesting hobby, and in the case of you and your MIL, it might bring you closer together, she can help you practice your pronounciation and such. I don't know if you have kids, but if/when you do, will your DH be teaching them Spanish as well? That's another good reason to learn.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 8:40 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• i've been with my husband for 10 years and both his parents are deaf. i still don't know sign language, and don't care to after the way I was treated.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 10:36 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• It's up to you. I did learn Spanish (I'd already had some in H.S.) to communicate with them. They've been here for 17 years now, and barely speak a word or two in English. That's what irritates me. Sometimes I wonder why I bothered because they sure as hell couldn't give two craps. I just didn't like having to depend on my DF to translate for me. He doesn't like doing it, anyway.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 11:08 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• u answered your own question since you know it causes problems so it depends if you want to knock down those barriers
    Anonymous

• The two of you can study English together
    Anonymous

• I think it would be a nice thing for you to do, but only if it's what you want to do. You shouldn't feel obligated, especially since she doesn't feel the need to learn.

My IL's can speak English, but in their house the only language spoken is Spanish.. if i want to know what's up hubby has to translate. I found it very disrespectful since everyone could speak to me but chose to speak a language that excluded me. They thought it would make me want to learn Spanish, but all it did was push us away. After missing out on our wedding and two grandchildren, they finally realized their approach was disrespectful. They've since apologized and we've been able to form a nice relationship. Once it was no longer a requirement to have a relationship with them, I actually wanted to learn their language. I'll never feel comfortable enough to speak it to them, but at least I know what they're saying to eachother in front of me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 AM on Apr. 11, 2010