my heart broke reading this response on a question.Are parents really like this!

I dont ever do this but I just couldnt get over it..it was on my mind all morning...
The question was what are you children doing after they graduate..one anon mom said this
I don't have a clue. My oldest graduates on June 5th and she's out of the house on June 6th. My kids know that as soon as they graduate they are out of the house. If they want to go to college I am not responsible for it, it's all on them. I don't know if she's applied to colleges or not. She gets the mail when she gets home from school and if she got anything I wouldn't know. Her future isn't my concern, she's her own person. My son graduates in 2 years and he's working already to save money to move out, just like his sister has been since she turned 16. They also pay rent and buy their own groceries. No freebies and freeloaders here.
What do you think? :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• i'm sorry, i am being nice! I can relate thats why i flew off my broomstick! This makes me sick!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:22 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• WOW - At that point why did this person even have kids??

My son is only 6, and I think about his future...
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:02 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• omg my kids would be able to stay home as long as they needed i would never tell my kids they are not my problem
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Sounds like a troll

Answer by rkoloms at 8:08 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• OP- Im really hoping she wasn't really serious...bad

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• My ds is 17 and in 11th grade. My dd will be 16 this month, and is in 10th.

I agree that yes, their future is their own choice - BUT - and this is a HUGE "BUT" - that doesn't mean that we don't care about what happens to them, that we don't encourage them in their lives, and that we don't express opinions on what they want to do with their lives as far as their future goes. Also, we do what we can to help facilitate the achievement of their goals.

I do agree, again, to a certain extent - that our kids aren't going to be allowed to be "freeloaders" - my cousin lived off of his mother for yrs and yrs, flunked / partied out of college, and didn't even bother to try to hold down a job for yrs and yrs (like until he was about 30).

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:10 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Very sad. That person sounds just like my mother's brother and his wife. The NIGHT of each of their children's 18th birthdays (two boys and a girl), they were LITERALLY kicked out of the house! (They had already graduated from high school as their birthdays were in June and September.)

Not surprisingly my older cousin failed out of college (on a full scholarship to Boston University), and went through a rough "party phase" for about 10 years before getting his act together and graduating from college--now 44, married with 2 children and a successful home contracting business! Their middle son (now 41), got a girl pregnant, married her, but they struggled for at least 8 years until he made it as a police officer. And my younger cousin (now 37), went into the Army, came home with a baby, and has since gone on to have 2 more children with different men, and is NOW living with her parents!

Continued
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:12 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I feel that if parents give/gave their children the SKILLS, TOOLS and/or EDUCATION, they WILL be out of the house in their early 20's, be independent and self sufficient, and never look back. But forcing them out of the house before they are equipped with the skills and education necessary to make it, is a recipe for disaster.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:13 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• cont

So no, we won't allow them to be "freeloaders" like my cousin was, but then again, we haven't raised them to be that kind of person. When they graduate, they get the summer after graduation. Then, they need to be getting an education of some sort (tech school, trade school, or college), and they can live at home for free, and we will help them. Or, they can go part time, and have a part time job, and we will still help with the school expenses, but they will have to pay some (low) rent. Or, if they choose to not get any sort of further education, they can work and pay rent. Or they can join the military, and we will help them with that.

They need to do SOMETHING, but, we say we don't care what - as long as it isn't illegal or immoral, and they can support themselves. That DOESN'T mean that we don't care at all what they do - just that we want them to be happy and productive adults.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:14 AM on Apr. 10, 2010