whats so wrong about the rebel flag? do you get angry if you see it or does it not matter to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• There is a time and place, imo... Civil War re-enactments, and historical moments, I have no problem with it...
    Airbrished on the back of a truck? I have to question the owners meaning/intent.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:19 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• it doesnt bother me...its a part of history.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:24 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I agree with grlygrlz on this. In a museum and even at reenactment where it is in context it makes sense (though I personally think reenactments are strange too...). A person hanging it in their window, pasting it on their truck, or tattooing in o their body (etc) is a different story. What are these people trying to commemorate? What is there to be proud of in the confederate flag? They were fighting in FAVOR of slavery, the single greatest blemish on the record of American history. I don't get why people wave it and say it's pride.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:25 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I dont have anything against it, but I think it looks redneck and I immediately think the person must be less educated.

I live in the deep south and even though I recognize its history, I realize that is not why most people are so fond of them. They are usually the people who like to stir the pot.

This has been my personal experience while living in the South.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• beckcorc. I am the anon below your post...and while I dont like the flag. The souths main reason for fighting was NOT to defend slavery. YES, it was part of the whole. But the main reason was to fight against BIG government and to protect STATES RIGHTS.

In today's times, people like to always mention the south fighting to keep slavery. Remember that a HUGE portion of the southern rebel fighters were dirt poor and had no means to have slaves. They had nothing at stake to loose.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Anon - I am perfectly aware of the reasons for The Civil War. The south was fighting for smaller Government, I understand that - but I think that glamorizes things a little bit too. They wanted to break up the union of the states! Regardless of the ins and outs of the Civil War, I don't get why the south still feels the need to have this confederate pride. You don't see people from the north waving the Union side around - and we're the ones who WON the war! If anyone has anything to be proud of in the Civil War it's the north, but we never talk about it. And all of this "The South shall rise again!" stuff is just absurd to me because it sounds like people are declaring that they want another Civil War and are threatening the union of the states.

Maybe it's just because I'm a yankee, but I just don't get why the South is holding on to the war.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:50 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• beckcorc....I dont get the southern pride thing either. I HATE to see the flag waving from some redneck 4x4 truck with mud all over it. HATE IT. But I dont like how the South is characterized by many people. MOST people do not feel this confederate pride thing. Most people just go on and never think a thing about it, there are a few sprinkled throughout the population that refuse to let it die. Usually the less educated ones. Sorry, true.

I just dont think most people realize the TRUE meanings for the war. The first one everybody hops on is "the south was fighting for slavery" yes, but it was not the only or the main reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• It doesn't bother me, but it really offends others. I believe in the right to free speech, but I don't think anyone has the right to hurt and offend others. There are ways to be respectful. By being intentional offensive you insult your own character more then anything else.
    debyduz

Answer by debyduz at 8:58 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Maybe it's just because I'm a yankee, but I just don't get why the South is holding on to the war.

Why? Heritage. I was fortunate enough to live in Nashville, TN for quite a few years and study Architecture. I saw the need to hold on to heritage in the way of art, architecture, memorbilia, and historical moments. What I don't understand is taking that heritage and displaying it on a t-shirt, tattoo, or on a truck.Perhaps it is simply a matter of 'to each their own'. But I do tend to question the intent to commercialize the flag in various ways.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:58 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Not a thing. My hubby has one in the garage. People wear it on their clothing. No one is stopping the North from waving the flag of that era. Why should we not have a confedeate flag? It's also a symbol of freedom and we still have most of our freedoms in this day.
    I think you just found something else for some to whine about.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:59 AM on Apr. 10, 2010