How long do you breastfeed your baby? and how often do you burp him/her?

How do you know when they had enough?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I fed mine for roughly 20 minutes on each side, burping between sides and after feeding - and then if he was still sucking I switched him back to the other side and let him feed for an additional 10 minutes on each side. Other moms will give you different ideas, but this is what I was taught when I attended a childbirth class before my first was born and it's worked for all 4 of my kids.

Answer by missanc at 9:07 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I never time her so I couldn't tell you how long she is on each side. My mom told me to do the 20 minute per side thing but it didn't work well; DD didn't want to unlatch and threw a fit if I made her and refused to relatch, so I just let her nurse until she's unlatching on her own, then offer the other side. I burped her between sides until she started burping on her own. I know she has enough when she doesn't want anymore when I offer, or when she gets off my lap and goes after the dog lol. On a wider scale, you know the baby is getting enough when they produce 6-8 wet/dirty diapers per 24 hour period after the first week or so. Adequate output=adequate input.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:14 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• With both my sons I breastfed them until they pulled away on their own. Sometimes that was after 15 min and sometimes it was 45 min.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 9:40 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Any wheres from 15-45 mins she knows when she is full, I let her unlatch. This has worked out perfect for us since she is 18.10 lbs, soon to be 7 months old. born weighing 7.4 lbs.
    reyreybella01

Answer by reyreybella01 at 10:04 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• My babies have all been quick eaters, but I don't watch the clock I've just let them decide when they are done. I have a 2 month old and I would guess he nurses for 5-10 minutes then I try the other side and if he wants it at all, maybe a few more minutes. He's growing well so I know it's enough, he's about 13 lbs now and was 9 lbs when he was born. I burp him after he's done with each side.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Every mother baby pair is different. Your baby knows exactly how long he needs to nurse on each side, and he knows when he is full. Just let him nurse as long as he likes on the first side. When he lets go, you can burp him, then offer the 2nd side. If he won't take the 2nd side then he is full.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:00 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I always went until they pulled away, or fell asleep. :-) I switched with each feeding- I didn't necessarily switch during the session, unless I was sore and they wanted more. However, I nursed on demand- so it was rather often.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• My son is 7 months old, he feeds on average like 5 minutes maybe?! Sometimes I swear it's shorter, occasionally it's longer. And he eats every 2 hours like clockwork. I don't burp him anymore as he has gotten the hang of burping himself pretty well. =)
    Miss.Cullen

Answer by Miss.Cullen at 1:38 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Oh and how I know he gets enough, well - he pretty much will refuse latching back on even when he doesn't eat for very long. I am fairly certain he is full and telling me just that. =)
    Miss.Cullen

Answer by Miss.Cullen at 1:39 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• They let go and turn away when they've had enough & you burp after every feeding.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:09 PM on Apr. 10, 2010