What do I tell my kids, age 11 & 15, to do if they should start to get bullied? With all the suicides these days, as a result of bullying, I want my kids to be prepared. But I honestly have no idea what to tell them. I hear alot that other kids don't like "rats", so I don't want my kids to get the crap beat out of them if they tell a teacher about it.

danalee11

Asked by danalee11 at 8:45 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• leave the situation and ignore the person. don't put themselves in any position to be bullied where they can get ganged up on...like walking home alone or sitting in the back of a class room. If kids are hitting them or hurting them or if they have been threatened then they do need to take action by telling somebody.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:50 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I saw Dr Phil the other day on this topic. And one of the principals said he had installed a bully box beside his office. Kids were able to drop off names anon. and school officials would have to follow up on the leads. SO, this would have to be really supported by the faculty.

But you could suggest this to his school officials. Tell them you are worried about bullying and want to suggest an idea. Ask for the school to support the box and not just let it sit their unattended.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I saw that Dr. Phil show too! That's what prompted my question. I was physicall sick to my stomach within the first 5 mins of that show!! Our school doesn't have a bully box, however, they do have an anonoymous phone line you can call. I just don't know what to tell my kids when and if something happens, what do they do in the moment?
    danalee11

Answer by danalee11 at 9:05 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Tell them
    "NOONE can make you feel inferior without your permission. " Eleanor Roosevelt (I think!)
    Stand up for themselves. Bullies are cowards. :)
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 9:55 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Mine automatically gets in their face and and tells them how the cow eats the cabbage and that they need to back off and shut their mouth. LOL And if they push it, he will tell a teacher or principal. If they try to hit, he will come out fighting like a madman. he doesn't bully, in fact, he has jumped on to others for doing it. He also knows never to hit, unless, he gets hit first. We don't have an issue with tortuous ongoing bullying.

I agree with Whatkids. You can also teach them to just walk off. I tried that, but, my kid is a natural stand up for himself kind of kids.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:16 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I worry about this as well, I was a victim of bullying in school. I was afraid of confrontation (still am) and never stood up for myself (still dont). I have instilled it into my DD to stand up for herself. She is only 5, but I fear for the dummy that picks on her, I babysit other kids, and get a bully from time to time. My DD doesnt start it, but lordy she will finish it. I hate to teach my DD to be like this, but its for her own good. I have a boy I babysit now that likes to "fight" ..well..he did until my baby girl layed a whoopin on him. She's a tough little thing.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 10, 2010