How do i get my son to pick up after himself

How do i get my son to pick up his toys. He wont listen to me and acts like he can't hear me when i ask him to pick up his toys. He is 2 years old and avoids picking up his toys... I live with my mom so if i take his toys away to punish him she just buys him more.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is 17 months and we made it fun to pick up things regularly. we do it throughout the day, like if he has dirty clothes he knows they go in his hamper. he knows trash in the garbage can. he knows his shoes have a special cubby. he knows that before dinner we clean up his toys so they can go night night and then it's bath time after dinner for him. he enjoys the attention he gets when he puts things where they belong. half the time if we've come in from a day trip and I just throw his shoes aside, he'll grab them and put them up in his cubby. It's awesome and he loves it.
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Make it a game. For my DD we try to do things as fast as possible. I'll say something like "quick, quick, quick we need to pick up all these toys." She'll get distracted, but I just keep saying and act sort of frenzied like it's a race.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Stay consistant. He'll get it eventually. My dd is four and knows how to clean up her room pretty well.
    WomanOfGod7

Answer by WomanOfGod7 at 9:30 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• He's 2--- picking up is a hard job at that age. First, set a good example and talk about what you're doing and why. Other than that, just stick with it and try to make it fun instead of a battle of wills. I am personally not above some bribery. My kids often get a little candy (like 3 M&M's or something similair) if they pick up nicely (my 5yo gets them almost every night. My 2yo only gets them about half the time, but she sees that her big brother gets rewarded for his helpfulness).
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 9:48 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• We bought containers so we can be specific. For example, we had an easier time telling them to put their cars in the car box than we had telling them to pick up their toys. Alot of times, they didn't know where to start. 2 year olds are natural sorters. They like things to be specific and we went with that.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 9:59 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• The Barney clean up song works great for us. If we are cleaning up and I don't sing it, she starts to. I pick up with her. They are not yet old enough to do it all by themselves. Lead by example, show them how it is done.
    VBeachMommy

Answer by VBeachMommy at 8:35 PM on Apr. 10, 2010