What you wished you had asked when you bought your house...

Please tell me anything you forgot to ask when buying your house!! We are at the start of purchasing, I would hate to not think about that one important thing...
thanks!

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 8:56 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• we just should have tried a lower offer, but were afraid to since we REALLY needed to get possession of the house that month.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:58 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• BUY TITLE INSURANCE!!!!

We were told good advice to buy title insurance, so we did. After living in our house for about a year....we received a letter stating that our house would be sold at auction in a few weeks!!!!!!!!!!! We were floored, we had ALWAYS paid every bill on time!!! What happened?

The former owner had not paid his property tax, and since we paid for the title to be searched it SHOULD HAVE BEEN CAUGHT....but was a negligence on the part of the title insurance company.

After much run around, we contacted the title insurance company and told them what had happened, they jumped right on it and covered ALL OF THE BACK TAXES. WE were out NO MONEY!!!

If we had not had the title insurance we would have owed thousands to keep our house!

ITs well worth it!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:01 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• What are the people around you like? Are there barking dogs or horrible children nearby?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• If you have kids, ask where the bus stops are. Is there public trash pickup? Are the roads well-maintained in winter? (if applicable, I live in NH, lol) Has the house ever had fire/smoke/water damage? If so, where was it, what caused it, how bad was it? Where exactly are the property lines?

If you have children, I would also go online to check for any sex offenders nearby, and see if you can get stats on the local schools to see if they're up to scratch. Good luck!
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 9:45 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I made sure there weren't sex offenders near by.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Get a home inspection. You might think it is a waist of time. But it is not. Negotiate the price of the home. Do not just give them the price they want.  Do not sweet the small stuff of a house. That means  paint collors, things you can change. If the rooms are bige enough and the floor plan is good that is all that matters.

Answer by louise2 at 10:25 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• i forgot to ask someone to talk me out of buying my house. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Apr. 10, 2010