Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My sons father is behind on child support..legally what can I do here?

My sons father is behind on child support, legally what can I do? Can I file something with the courts..any advice, experience or help to offer?

Thank you.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • It literally took 12 years of back support piling up to the tune of $35,000 for the court to finally criminally prosecute my ex. Now, 13 yrs later, I finally get a whopping $200/month. Good luck with yours....

    Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:22 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

  • depends on what state you live in. he can have his wages garnished/...get an attorney

    Answer by threeeunder3 at 10:27 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

  • If you are not on state aid and you need help go to dhhs, thye will pursue him hard!

    It took like 3 days after my husband left the household to get him in the system and from that paint they monitor his work and garnish wages.


    Tell everything you know about him working to dhhs investigator, if hes on facebook sayigng hes working etc..

    enough proof will be able to prosecute him, that is the state will prosecute.

    be proactive work with child support, your cooperation will help them proove in the court he is being defiant.


    Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

  • In Missouri I finally went through Child Support Enforcement, which amounts to nothing. If he is not working and does not have the fund available, there is nothing they can do. They threatened to take his license away about once a year. After he received the letter, he would pay a small portion and VIOLA. He was out of trouble. I had to take what I could get. Oh, and if he decided to work on a barge they WILL NOT withhold any child support. So, where do you think all the deadbeat dads go here in Missouri... CORRECTOMONDO~!~~

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

  • In any state you can go through Child Support Enforcement. It's $25 a yr for their services if you are not on PA. I finally got mine after 30 yrs of trying to get it and I too get $200 a month

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.