How would you handle stealing?

My child stole earplugs from target and thinks its funny I am trying to teach him to have good morals. There was a period I was blind but now I want him to go back and pay for them. Would the cops be called or would they just take the $ ? Also ipod from from an old school and class mate far away? Would u mail it back to the school with a note?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• First of all, I highly doubt they will call the police. You must make him go back and return them to Target and apologize to the manager. This will show your son that you will not tolerate such behavior and that you will not cover up for him either. I also agree with calling the store manager in advance to let them know the purpose of the visit so the manager can be prepared with all the 'stern things' that they need to say to your son. Make sure that when he pays for them, that the money comes straight out of his pocket, not yours. Then there needs to be some punishment at home, like yard work or something that he doesn't get paid for and other privileges taken away. Yes, I'd mail the Ipod back too, he can't keep it, it would be a reward for bad behavior to let him keep it.
    Anonymous

• I would take him back and make him pay for it, even if the police are called. I doubt it would be. I would also make him apologize to the manager of the store.....I would call ahead of time, ask to speak to a manager and tell him I am coming and why.....as for the other item, make HIM write the note and mail it to the school, sure....also l would let him know I am ASHAMED of his behaviour and that he has put a mark on our family's good name.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Yes to taking the earplugs back to Target and making him pay for them. I don't know if the cops will be called, but I'm guessing not. But your child's name/address/phone number may be "kept on record" or he may be banned from the store without an adult, depending on his age. And I think sending the Ipod back is a very good idea too.
    If you live in a city with a police youth division, you can call and ask them for advice. You obviously want to nip this behavior in the bud as soon as you can. Good luck.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I would take him back to target and have him talk to the manager (call the manager b4 you go in so he knows whats going on) Tell him to apolgize and pay for the earplugs. By you doing this he might start hiding his stealing too so be on a close watch for "new" things...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• In my opinion, keeping your son from returning to Target because you are worried that cops will be called will show your son that you will cover for him.. Take your son back and make him own up to what he did and tell the manager to do whatever his job dictates..
    Mad_Hexer

Answer by Mad_Hexer at 11:10 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• This kid hates spending his $ he has 160 saved in his wallet from birthday $ etc. Its common teen kids to steal but its not RIGHT. I remember his pencils and colored pencils being stolen in 6th grade. He would get mad too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Yes the police will be called and I know this because my son started out like that you should take care of it right now he stole from Kmart and Wal-Mart and neither one of us is allowed to work for either one of them take care of it before it starts becoming a court issue. Mine thought it was funny until he could not come home because of his actions. He would laugh and it would keep going. Taking him back will show him they are serious and you are serious as well.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:42 AM on Apr. 10, 2010