Im a SAHM. Do you other SAHM get bored of being a SAHM?

Not that i dont love and appreciate getting to be a SAHM, but sometimes I wonder how different it would be if i worked and then came home to my kids. I have only left my kids with someone on 4 different occassions, other than that i'm always with them and they are always with me. Sometimes when we go to the zoo or park or other activities it just seems like the same thing everyday and im running out of ideas and i also dont want to burn my self out yeah know? do you think i am doing alright as a sahm or is my thinking a little off?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, everyone gets bored sometimes, no matter what job they have, but being a homemaker with children can be quite isolating....sometimes I long for adult company, and envy the other side.....but I know that the other woman's life seems better than it is......you don't have to have a constant flurry of activity to be a good mom, keep that in mind, plus perhaps you need to find something that is just for you that fulfills you....a class, a hobby, something you've always wanted to do?
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I think it is totally normal to get bored with it, I do. I am someone who hates to be cooped up in the house. But I live in a small town and there is only so many trips to be made to the park,walmart, the burger king play place,the lake and the local pool. And in the winter it is much worse. So I try my best to come up with things to keep me and my little man busy...
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• ive worked and now im a sahm . It can get very routine and boring but not because of my son just because its simply the sameeeee thing over and over and we generally dont go many places because then id just end up spending money I dont need to spend. It is normal to get bored. We just try to have as many little activities as possible so we both dont get bored. It is what it is though, and are kids love us for it! ;)
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 11:13 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• YES. But then I try and remember how much I hate working and that if I DID work, all this stuff I'm doing around the house would still have to get done eventually...and I know I would still be the one doing it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I didn't get bored- much too busy with my big garden besides other SAHM tasks-, but I did feel sad that I was missing out on opportunities in my profession. I'd spent 6 years in university and now the people I'd graduated with were moving ahead in their fields and making money and saving for retirement, while I was canning vegetables and mopping floors.

Answer by Bmat at 11:28 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I feel worse than you & I do know some of it is totally normal.I'm actually thinking I might need to go back on an anti-depressant *&* I don't want to.Or something non-narcotic for anxiety. IDK I'm at a place in my life of everything going the way it's sapposed to & I've never been doing better as far as finances & relation ship with S.O. but I have not got freinds my kids are with me all the time.I don't have family he does but we don't talk, i'm so hurt at all the ways they ignore life & how a family can be & have fun times together and just getting a cup of coffee or meeting at the park.Nobody to do anything with.I would LOVE to go shopping but I can't these kids are to demanding at the ages they are.I wish I could enjoy the time I am so lucky to have with them but everything feels so over whelming.I want to be happy and feel the joy between a mom & her kids again.'
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Yep.

I'm going to college in August. I can't stand being a SAHM anymore. It's wearing my spirit down.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I personally have not gotten board. It is practically impossible for me to keep up with everything I should be doing. I use during the day time to run errands. And because I am a SM, I also have a lot of running that has to do with that as well. So...I haven't gotten board.

I would like it better if I had more friends of my own - outside of SO's family, my family, or people i know through SO and his family....but most of the people I knew when I lived here before have moved away or I just dont talk to anymore and our lives are so completely different that I think I would have trouble relating. So, my goal is to make new friends....I just haven't figured out how.

Maybe you can meet some other SAHMs to hang out with and have play dates with and such?
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• We all have days where we get bored or feel like we're in a rut. I just can't imagine not seeing my kids every day for 8 plus hours. I learned a new hobby back in September and that helps keep me sane, and I get together with my homeschooling group and hang out with those moms. Before I had a hysterectomy almost 3 weeks ago, I was exercising every day but I'm medically restricted from that for another 3 weeks. Check with your local public library for activities and your local YMCA.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:01 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I could not handle not having a career. I give you a lot of credit.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2010