• In the Spotlight:

How to get the kid to eat his veggies?

My friends son refuses to eat his veggies. She only asks each child to eat one bite but he refuses even that. He will hold it in his mouth until he makes himself throw up. His father spaz's out and beats him for throwing up on purpose then sends him to bed hungry.. I need some ideas to give her because if she doesn't get him to eat some veggies soon dad will take over the feeding and the kid will suffer for it....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Keep offering and making him eat a bite. Then, tell him he has to eat veggies, but, he gets to pick which one he wants to eat. Line up some choices at the store, ones they can all live with and let him pick one. Then, tell him he is either going to eat that when they have meals or he can eat whatever they are having.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:48 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• i think its disturbing that the child would make hisself throw up over a veggie bite. my daughter used to do that, and she would go to time out. soon she realised that she has to at least try veggies. she will now eat green beans, brussel sprouts, squash, broccoli, and cooked carrots. the child needs punishment if they arent going to at least try the food.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• If the child truly throws up, it could be that he has a problem with sensory input....I'd still keep trying because that is how he will get used to it....that being said, if you create a war with a child over this, they will become malnourished rather than give in....so please find a balance here.
    Anonymous

• Is the father beating him or spanking him? If he is beating him she needs to take herself and her child away from him.
    Anonymous

• The father is abusive and child services should be involved.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• He got his butt spanked til he had welts last time.. all the while dad had a hard grip on the back of his neck. The mom and I agree he went waaay overboard and later he apologized for flipping out but not eating the food put in front of them is his "hot button" so to speak because he went hungry A LOT as a kid and thinks they should appreciate it. Thing is, small boy wont even try any veggie- no matter what kind it is he makes himself puke so he can leave the table. The other night he sat at the table for 2 hours and no amount of cajoling, spanking, begging etc by mom could get him to open his mouth - after dad held his nose shut and physically pried open the kids mouth and stuck some in is when it got real bad. I think someone out there must have a trick or something- my kids never pulled that stuff so I don't really know how to help.
    Anonymous

• Mine did it. That's why I gave my suggestion. He would gag and throw up every time. So, for a week, everyday I served him a helping of a different green nasty to him veggie and had him take a bite or two. Then, i took him to the store lined up some veggies and had him pick one and he either ate that with his meal or he ate the other kind. He was happy has a clam to eat the frozen mixed veggies he picked out. Now, he will eat almost any veggie.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:27 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Try having some Ranch salad dressing around for dipping the veggies in....doesnt matter what veggies as long as he is getting some. I had all 4 of mine eating salads and some kind of veggies.
    Kathy7_20

Answer by Kathy7_20 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 10, 2010