My toddler eats a lot!

My 18 month old eats A LOT! It might be normal, but he's so little I don't know where he puts it. He will eat his meals, his snacks and if I have a snack without him, he eats half of mine too. He's not obese. His dad is a beanpole that can eat McDonald's everyday and not gain a pound! Should I feed him when he's hungry. If he's anything like me...I'm an emotional eater. But his dad is super metabolism. Or should I deny him food outside of his meal/snack times?

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 11:30 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Going by his dad's metabolism, I'd say feed him when he's hungry. I was like that growing up, I could eat anything and not gain a pound. Just keep an eye on his weight when you take him to his well baby check ups. Also, ask your pedi about it.

There's no way at 18 months that he's an emotional eater.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 11:34 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• as long as he's eating healthy, then i dont see an issue. if hes eating mcdonalds 3 times a day, then that might be a problem.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• my son is like also i was amazed the other we got a 20 peice nugget meal from mcdonalds to share and he ate 15 of the nuggets and half the fries. I was amazed .. He eats alot but he isn't fat. I think it is normal
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 12:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• My 16 month old is the same way. He's only in the 25% for weight but eats like a horse. Everyone is always amazed, but his 10 year old brother is just like him - skinny with a bottomless appetite. I just make sure that what I give him is healthy - we stick mainly with fruits and veggies for snacks and add some protein since that supposedly fills you up longer.

Answer by missanc at 12:37 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Thanks ladies! I'm glad to see I'm not alone. Between him and my husband, it's hard to keep food in the fridge for more than a few days. My son will eat a whole grilled cheese, a bowl of potato soup with crackers and half of the chicken on my salad. Then want a banana a half hour later. He would barely eat as a baby, but I guess now he's catching up. Thank you again for showing me I'm not alone and being paranoid on passing down the emotional eating (at least until he's older).
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• You're so lucky! Mine is a pain in the hiney when it comes to eating. Eight out of ten days, it's like pulling teeth to get her to eat. For instance, at lunch, I made her half a turkey and cheese sandwich with olive oil mayo on whole grain bread---sounds like a healthy lunch, right? Well, she ate the meat and cheese and left the bread.  She never wants to eat anything except like cheese, bananas and crackers.  Oh and she always steals my apples.  She is not skinny, but I still worry about her getting enough fat and calories.  I give her a vitamin with iron, because she rarely eats meat.

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 10, 2010