Do the at-home hair color lifters work?

I used a cheap at-home permanent color and got about three different shades on my one head: dark brown ends, reddish-brown middle, and auburn at the roots, and the color was supposed to be a medium "bronze" brown! I've colored for a while and I had about an inch of regrowth, so it must just be the cheapie new stuff. Bleaching is not an option. I know your first choice will be to send me to my stylist, but I moved and no longer have one I trust...and this is something I wouldn't trust to just anyone. I'd prefer to try a color lifter first, but I know nothing about them. Thanks for your help & suggestions!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• since its been a while, go to a beauty store, like sally's, and ask the worker what color you need to achieve the color you want. if you are getting red, then you need to use green base to neutralize it. your hair may not accept golden colors with the color you have in it now. so you might have to find a professional to get the exact results you want.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 10, 2010

• ok, im a stylist and pleaseeeeeeeeee do NOT use a color lifter on your hair, trust me they may lift your color but they are also very harsh on your hair , nearly as bad as bleach. Your hair turned different colors because store bought colors have metalic dyes in them that are unpredictable, being that you had newgrowth and some colored and what not it all turned different , ive seen this many times in the salon doing hair. Dont get a lifter , id just suggest getting a medium to dark brown hair color and putting it all over, I know you may not want to go dark at the moment but being that you put a bronzer on your hair even if you did try to lift it you would get orange hair, because of the colors underneath. After you wash the dark a few times itll become lighter any how and your hair will be healthier in the long run as well...the only other option would be to go to a stylist ..cont.
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 6:00 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• and they are going to most likely 'mask' what you did to your hair by foiling in dark and light pieces all over, this is fine but itll cost ya some big bucks and if they dont know what they are doig you may end up with orange highlights..feel free to e-mail me with any questions. Color is one of my favorite things to do !
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 6:02 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I specilaized in hair color. The reason your color took differently is because you applied the color to your entire head at the same time. The heat from your head and virgin hair caused it to turn auburn, the middle section turned reddish brown because it already had color, and the ends turned dark brown because they already had color and grabbed the new color. I have to disagree about applying a a medium to dark brown to your entire head. The ends will grab the color and it will appear almost black. I do agree that it is not a good idea to try to lift it yourself - you could end up with a bigger mess a very damaged hair.
    You have to be very careful when you apply hair color to hair that already has color. I suggest a semi permanent color in a light brown which will slowly wash out until you grow your hair out enough to trim the ends off. Clairol makes a Beautiful Collection that you can get at Sally's for under $6.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:28 AM on Apr. 11, 2010