What should I know or expect from the glucose test?

My doctor told me that I needed to have one done... Was there a red flag at my last appointment or it just standard procedure? What do they test for? He told me I couldn't eat anything past midnight, but I don't remember if I could drink anything? I have a 3 year old but I did not carry him this long so this is all new to me, like I am a first time mom again. Thanks ladies!

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No everyone has to get one done. They test for diabetes. Some women get diabites when they are pregnant so they test every women for it. Not sure about the drinking since with my girls the doctor told me that I could eat and drink anything I wanted as long it wasn't high in sugar.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• it is a standard procedure that they check every woman about 24 weeks prego for gestational diabetes. an if u have them or at borderline for them, they usually put u on a diet so ur baby doesnt become bigger than normal, an many other reasons. u cnt eat or drink ne thing. if u do, it will throw off ur glucose reading. an u will have to do it all over again.
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 12:10 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• It's a standard test. I was told I could drink water, but that was it. As the others said, it just tests your blood sugar to see if you have gestational diabetes. You drink this really sweet drink and wait an hour and then they draw your blood. That's all there is to it. =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 12:20 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• you have to drink this sweet, sunkist-like drink, wait an hour, then they check your sugar levels
    AirForceWife14

Answer by AirForceWife14 at 1:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• It's standard. You're supposed to fast for 12 hours (able to still drink a small amount of water), then drink this nasty-super-sugary juice, then get your blood drawn an hour after that.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 2:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Its standard. They just check your blood sugar. They will either ask you to eat a candy bar and drink a juice or they will give you a sugar drink. I think its like any thing higher then a 130 is bad. Mine was a 135 and I had to come back in and do it again. They told me not to eat or drink then took my blood and then gave me a super sugary drink and then I had to come back an hour later and have it drawn again and then an hour later do it again and then another hour later they did it again. Every thing came back normal.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 4:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2010