Lazy Eye

I just found out my 6 month old daughter has a lazy eye. The doctor said she didn't even notice it until i said something because it is very hard to tell. But i was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to correct a lazy eye on a baby...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a mom and two cousins with it. They all wear glasses or contacts and you can't tell. But, if they take them off, after awhile, their eye will turn in. My mom is 54, one cousin is 21 and the other is 17. Neither had an eye covered to try and correct it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:46 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• If lazy eye is not detected and treated early in life, loss of vision and depth perception can occur. However, it is possible to improve lazy eye at any age with proper treatment. Treating lazy eye has two goals: to produce clear vision in both eyes and to strengthen the weaker eye. The most common treatment is to patch the child's stronger eye for a certain amount of time each day, forcing the weaker eye to work harder. Treating lazy eye may also include a combination of prescription lenses, prisms, and vision therapy.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Oh yeah...they were all diagnosed really early. Their eyes are bad...LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:50 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I have a lazy eye. When I was younger I had to wear a patch over my good eye and it forced my other eye to work more. I also had to string bead with the patch on. I still wear glasses for it and unless I have my glasses off or if I'm EXTREMLY tired you can't tell.

Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I forgot to mention that I was around two when I started wearing my glasses.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 12:59 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I am going through that same thing with my 11mo old. She is actually scheduled for surgery on the 21st because of it. Since you got her checked out early they may be able to patch her eye, and get it straightened before she's 1. We didn't get our daughters checked out until she was almost 10 months, and they want to get it fixed before she's 1 so she doesn't have a weaker eye and loss of depth perception. The dr said basically what happens is that (until the baby is 1) when the eye crosses rather then the baby getting double vision the brain "shuts off" vision to that eye, and since there is no vision that eye doesn't develop right. When you patch the "good" eye it allows for the weaker eye to focus more, thus gain strength. So far we have patched for 1 month everyday for 2 hours, and the dr was impressed with her improvement, but since she's 1 next month the patching wouldn't completely fix her eye and they have to operate
    Laitheledh

Answer by Laitheledh at 1:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Sorry ran out of space before. Since you caught it early and you said it wasn't too noticable, I think they can probably just patch it and she'll be fine! The patches look funny at first, but you get used to it, and they seem (at least my daughter) to do fine with them. We have even dubbed her "Patches" cuz she was taking a nap one day and I had left the patch on, and my husband came home from work and saw her and said (and not quietly I might add) "Hi! Patches". (He was suprised that it was still on her)
    Laitheledh

Answer by Laitheledh at 1:34 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I have had a lazy eye all my life and never received treatment for it. I am 51 now and do wear glasses. No one ever tried to correct it for me.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 5:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2010