when should i start to potty train my toddler in 1 year old too soon?

princerodney

Asked by princerodney at 12:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 18 months is usually the age at which you should begin potty training. Before then, the sphincter muscle is not well developed enough for a child to control or hold until s/he can get to the potty. Potty training too early can also make the process much longer and much more frustrating for your child.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 1:03 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Neebug its actually no right or wrong answer potty training and age is actually very cultural. My mother had me out of diapers at 15 months and my brother 17 months. This was passed down from her Russian culture so are you saying they have stronger sphincter muscles lmfao?
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 1:06 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I decided to introduce the concept when my DS was 18 months old. And he was ready!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I personally think everyone should try before 2. I see 3 and 4 year olds in diapers and if you noticed all the major diaper companies keep making them bigger and bigger pretty soon you will see teen huggies. It is humiliating if you ask me. People think its weird to breastfeed a child past 1 but its okay for your 4 yr old to be running around in a saggy smelly diaper. Again its cultural I guess but it is backwards here imo.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• boys cant control it till past 2yrs old. Your asking for a nightmare. 2 1/2 would be perfect. Your setting yourself up for failure and it is going to cause a lot of stress on you and the child. My son was 3 and we did it in 2 days! :)
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• mine is 20 months old we still use pull ups in case of accident's but other then when he is sleeping he uses the potty we started training him at about 16/17 months
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 7:18 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• "if you noticed all the major diaper companies keep making them bigger and bigger pretty soon you will see teen huggies. It is humiliating if you ask me. People think its weird to breastfeed a child past 1 but its okay for your 4 yr old to be running around in a saggy smelly diaper."

Crystal, that is SO perfect! I love it!!

I just asked this same question actually. My mom had us out of diapers by 15 months or so, and when I asked to check this, someone sent me a link stating that when everyone in this country was using cloth diapers the national average age to be fully potty trained was 18 months. I can't even buy cloth daipers past a certain size, she will NEED to be trained by then. I think the disposable companies want your kids wearing diapers longer so that they will make more money. Now since they've been scrutinized for making diapers so dang big, they are doing the "Potty Dance" to try and save a little face!
    Anonymous

• you can introduce them to the idea whenever you want, but actually starting to train them should take a while before you start. There are baby sites where you can see lists on signs when your child may be ready. I think Huggies.com has something on there. They tell about things like if your child is able to go for several hours at a time between pees, has a regular poop schedule. you should check it out, good luck!
    Anonymous

This is a big FALSE. I am 6 yrs older than my brother and i remember him being out of diapers before 2. Again this is a sad myths because we are suppose to keep buying diapers making the companies rich until our kids are pretty much in school which is the direction many parents are going nowadays.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 12:56 AM on Apr. 11, 2010

• People used to begin training as soon as kids learned to walk... Almost all American kids were trained by 18 months. For me, teaching a child to learn to use the toilet when they are able to learn is worth the extra effort as opposed to those who are thrilled that their 3.5 year-olds trained themselves in one day. The way I figure it, with my 19 month-old (she started training at around 17 months), even though we're still dealing with some accidents and still have to remind her to go every now and then, we're not changing diapers and she's not sitting in her poop. Personally, I'd want my parents to do the same for me. And btw, my best friend just trained her son at 21 months and she was highly skeptical because she had "heard for boys it was 3 or even 4 for potty training") but we talked about it, she gave it a try, and sure enough, he responded beautifully.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:00 AM on Apr. 11, 2010