Did you know the average age for a first time mom to give birth is about 25yrs?

I didn't know this. I'm always feeling kinda left out or stuck because although i have two little boys who call me mommy, i myself have never given birth. I'll be 23 in 8 days. I've been married a year and 9 months and if life would have gone the way DH and i wanted it, i would've been ready to pop this month! lol

anyways, i was just kinda surprised that the age was that high because it seems like i know lots of young people (and there are many on this site) who are already moms.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 12:58 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I was 25 when i had my first. i'm kind of glad. Because in your first five years of being twenty, you just want to party! By 25 you just want to settle down anyway and have a family, so it worked out for me! lol
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:41 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Because they take an average of all ages and get one number is what I think it is. I did have my son at 25 though and probably would of had several kids by now but I had several miscarriages due to bad endometreosis so I see him as my miracle.
    Anonymous

• I did not know that. I was 22 when I delivered for the first time. I say it like that because I do have a son who is 11 yrs old so I was a mom before then. I actually became a mom when I was 21. My DH had a son from a previous marriage and his Bio mom decided that she didn't want to be a mom anymore and has nothing to do with him.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 1:03 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I became a first time mom at 36, almost 37. Almost everyone I know started having kids in their early 30's.
    Anonymous

• I had my first at 23 and my second at 26.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:06 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I had my daughter when I was 24 almost 25. my mom had me about 25 as well.

that sounds right. i am only surprised because you hear about SOOO many young moms.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 1:09 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Teen pregnancy has actually gone down dramatically since the 80's and 90's so no this is not a supprise. It always depends on where you live some areas are infested with teen unwed mothers while others are not other places are more career and college oriented and again I am thinking this is an average do you guys remember what average means in math? They add all the particular numbers and than divide it to get an average.
    Anonymous

• yes anon. i know very well what "average" means in math. Which is why i'm surprised the number is so high. I can think of a number of girls who had babies or got pregnant in high school and a number of others who got pregnant right after high school.

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I had my one and only son at 21.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:32 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I had my dd when I was 34.

It seems like a lot of people I went to high school with didn't start having kids until they were in their 30's (I graduated in 1992). A lot of us went to college and got our careers established before starting a family.

My younger sister was 21, and my brother's girlfriend was 18 (he was 19).
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2010