Physician assisted suicide

There is an article in our local paper today about a 72 year old man with inoperable brain cancer that is doing ads in support of physician assisted suicide.

Are you for or against PAS? I'm personally for it. Anyone that is suffering from a terminal illness that is in major amounts of pain with no hope of relief deserves the choice, I think. I mean, we put animals to sleep when they're in pain and call it humane. But if a person is suffering and just can't deal with it any more, we tell them "Oh, well." I think that's wrong. I think the process needs to have major rules to go with it, but I think it should be an option. I've had two family members that I personally have watched suffer through inoperable cancer and literally wither away to being no resemblance of who they were in life. Seeing them suffer was horrible. I think it should be an option.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• is wrong. There fixed that for you.
    Anonymous

• Why, Anon :21? Why is it wrong?
    Anonymous

• We had a neighbor that had stomach and pancreatic cancer and it took him five years to die and it was painful too watch I believe if there is nothing that can be don this should be allowed. Its so easy when you still know there is something they can do for you. When you know its over why should you be forced to keep going?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Because Life is holy and noone should take life. That includes animals by the way. And no, I am not a pacifist, I just really don't believe in taking life if at all possible. That is a really bad reason for ending life imo.
    Anonymous

• sorry that should be done. LOL
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Horrible pain and suffering when knowing there is no hope of recovery or even respite from pain is a bad reason to want to stop living?

Anonymous

• I support it for terminal illnesses like that.
    Anonymous

• I think there would be pros and cons to PAS. I personally think that it should be an option. I work in a nursing facility and have seen many people suffer miserably for months and them wishing they could just die. On the down side, I fear people would abuse it. Death is always a hard subject to discuss and if PAS were to be allowed there would need to be very strict rules and regulations.
    onthegoturbo

Answer by onthegoturbo at 1:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• We are never promised a painless life. Life is full of pain, anger, hate, love, compassion, and a ton of other things. Pain is not a reason to end life.
    Anonymous

• OP here- onthegoturbo, I totally agree. There would need to be very strict rules and regulations put in place, and lots of documentation to show to legal folks to prove that the PAS is in line with the regulations.
    Anonymous