How much does car insurance cost for your teenager?

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 1:23 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• My son's is $250/month. wheeeeeewwwww. He's 19, has had 2 speeding tickets, one minor "bumped fender" which wasn't reported to the other guys insurance.
    Anonymous

• When ours were teens, insurance quotes just for them was $2200/6 months each. We bought a junker, insured it with PL/PD and put them on that policy. They were still able to drive any of our cars as long as they were insured. That cost us $105 a month for 2 teen drivers.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I don't have a teen. I do remember when I turned 16 I paid $100/month. That's what I was charged on my parent's policy. This was 1996.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:06 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• All depends on the driver and the car. We pay about 70.00 a month for our 19 year old. The car is paid of and it has only liablitiy on it.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:23 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Before we moved overseas, we has our teenage son on our car insurance (it's done differently here, so...)

I talked to our insurance agent about it before we added him, and there are a lot of variables. For one thing, you can add them to your policy, but exclude them from certain vehicles (of course, if they do end up driving that car and have an accident, then they won't cover it). It also depends on what your deductible is, how many cars you have (if you have, say, 3 drivers in your house and 3 or more cars, they have to be primary on one), what kind of car, etc.

I would suggest you call your insurance agent and ask them what your quote would be, and ask them what difference it would make if you made changes to the policy. We raised our deductible from $100 to $500 and it saved us several hundred when we added him.

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• My son started with insurance at 16 of only $100 per month now after a speeding ticket and an accident it is going up to $250 per month. We have decided to sell is car and get a junker so we can lower the bill.
    Anonymous

• My sons are 18 and 19 and are on our insurance. My 19yo pays $54 a month because he drives our car (he had an accident in Dec. when he hit a patch of ice and ran over a curb and ripped up the transmission on his so he just uses our car and we pay $70 for full coverage and he pays the difference which is $54) but when he had his own car he paid $80 a month. My 18yo has a pickup truck (1998 Mazda) and he pays $76 a month for just liability coverage. Before he turned 18 he was paying $86 a month. They are both Seniors in high school and they both get a Good Student discount which helps.

tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2010