Has anyone gone an entire pregnancy without experiencing braxton hicks?

Hi everyone, i asked a similar quetion to this recently, but this specific part of the question was not answered. I am 37 weeks and have never had a braxton hicks contraction. My midwife says that some women simply do not get them (or feel them is they do get them). Has this been the case for anyone else? I am wondering if this is going to make labor harder for me because i haven't had any "practice contractions". Or maybe easier because i have had them and don't feel them? I don't know, if anyone has had a similar experience please share :)

Stefania512

Asked by Stefania512 at 2:00 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• As far as I know I never had them. From time to time I would feel a little pain, but it didn't feel anything like a contraction, just baby kicking me somewhere inside. As for my labor it didn't progress well. I was dilated to 1 for 12 hours after my water broke. I ended up having a c-section due to the size of my child's head. I don't know if that had anything to do with not having braxton hicks, but that's my story. :)
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• P.S. I don't know if it's normally this way, but I didn't have contractions until after my water broke.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 2:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I never had braxton hicks and my labor was pretty darn smooth. I woke up with contractions at 3:30AM. They were 3 mins apart by 5:30 AM and we went to the hospital. I was dilated to 5 when I arrived. By 8:30 I was a 10. My Dr. had me rest for an hour after getting to a 10. Then I pushed for an hr and out popped my baby boy!
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 2:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• A close friend of mine never felt them. All women get BH. It is simply a part of pregnancy. Your body has to do the "practice contractions" which are BH. But while every woman gets them, not every woman feels them and some feel them and don't ever understand that they are BH. Contractions (BH & early labor contractions) feel like a tightening of your ab muscles. Sometimes it just feels like the baby is strethcing out long ways and putting a little pressure against your abs.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:37 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• i never felt them. I had a pretty smooth labor. I wouldn't be concerned.
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 4:03 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Braxton Hicks aren't usually painful....just a tightening of the abdomen, feels like your stomach muscles are tightening. I had them almost constantly....but labor was certainly not easier because of them, so if that is what you are worried about, don't!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:40 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I never hard them at all! But I couldn't tell you what experience that would bring to labor, as I never went into labor either. (Had an ER c-section.) I'm sure it wouldn't change anything though!
    Miss.Cullen

Answer by Miss.Cullen at 4:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• With my 1st I never felt any at all, so when I started contracting at 36wk 3days I THOUGHT they were BH. Anthony was born 4 days later <3 With all 3 of my girls I had plenty of BH contractions tho!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 5:32 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I never got them when i was pregnant. I went into labor at 39 weeks execltly and had a very easy labor i was only in labor for 7 hours andI slept through the first 4 hours of it. There were no complications or anything of that sort. Hope this helps you out some. And good luck
    K3lly94

Answer by K3lly94 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I never felt any when I was pregnant but then I was dialated to a 3 at 37 weeks. I had a very easy labor and delivery at 38 weeks.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 6:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2010