what should a teens curfew be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I believe 10 is the very best.
    I am 22 now and from personal experience I know I 10 is great. That what mine was a i really didnt do bad things. Not horrible anyway. But when I spent the night at my friends houses and their curfews were 12 or 2am. We did alot! never horrible but we had many more chances to get into big trouble.
    Definitely pick a curfew ur comfortable with and stirctly enforce it. Make it knows to your childs friends parents also.
    I loves that my friends parents didnt know I had a curfew of 10, if they did I wouldnt have been out with boys at 2am. Always always always communicate w friends parents. Trust your instincts. And know if your child respects you they will respect their boundaries.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 2:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• ***sorry for all the typeos!**
    sassy_brizzy

• 13-14 I would say 9. Being at that age, they aren't really going to have any friends with cars, so they are out walking around.
    15-16 I would say 10-11 during the week and 11-12 through the weekend - or they at least they would need to call and let me know they are staying with friends by then. since at that point they will have cars and many underage clubs go til 12.
    Over 17, I see no reason for a curfew. They can move out at that point if they want to, so why not treat them as the adults they are...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:19 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• It depends on their ages. Until my sons were Juniors in high school they had to be home by dark on school nights and until they started driving we took them & picked them up to wherever they went on weekends so they had to be picked up by 10:30 since their dad. My older 2 sons waited until they were 19 to start driving so until they graduated they were home by 10:30 on weekends. My younger 2 started driving as Juniors. Once they started driving they had an 11p curfew their Junior year and as Seniors they have to be home by midnight on weekends & they have to be home by 9p on school nights unless they work. There's nothing anyone needs to be doing after midnight and as long as they live here and drive our cars, they'll be home by midnight.

Anonymous

• I don't think you can set a "curfew" that works across the board. Younger teens should not be out at night without supervision at all, so they would come home when the family came home or when the family of their friends bring them home. Older teens in our house were told to come home based on a case by case need. This did not really become a problem until after they had graduated high school and had gotten part-time jobs where they had to work some evenings. They were usually expected home 30 minutes after they got off from work. I remember once our oldest son got off work and got to talking to some friends in the parking lot and lost track of the time. When his 30 minutes were up, his dad got up out of bed, dressed, and went looking for him. He was a little embarrassed by the incident but it never happened again. This was before cell phones. Our children turned out very well, and I think they knew we loved them!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:35 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• In my state they are with you until 18 so they cannot move out unless emancipated.
    My curfew was 9pm until i was 13 then 10pm until i was 18. It sucked but it was for my best. I was a great kid and stayed out of trouble. My friends with curfews after 12 were wilder and had sex at early ages. Maybe no real connecton but its the truth of what I saw. And I do know when I stayed at my friends house and we were out until 3AM ( i was 16) we smoked weed and met up with older guys. Her mom had no clue and mine assumed we were asleep and her parents knew my curfew was 10pm. I only did a few times but that was the lifestyle of being out that late and being a teenager.
    Anonymous

• Our city curfew is 10pm so any minors on the streets or not with parents will be escorted to the police station. Some cops are lenient but some strictly enforce these rules.
    It is bohersome to the teens but gives parents a sense of peace knowing their children are not running around the streets late at night. But of course there is the trouble that can happen in the privacy of homes. Teens have no business out past midnight. There is nothing to do that late besides drink, drugs, sex and party.
    Anonymous

• My curfew was always "before dark". Which in the winter meant 5pm and in the summer meant 9 or 10pm. Unless i had a pre-approved and pre-arranged driving escort.
    Until i started driving myself, then i was pretty much allowed to do what i wanted, but it didn't matter because i was always responsible and home at a decent hour.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I never liked the idea of a curfew---I preferred to consider each activity on its own and decide that way. With a curfew, the child may feel entitled to be out until that time and feel less obligation to tell you where they will be. I also found it was preferable to be the one to pick the kids up as I got a lot more information that way. If the kids are going to be wandering the streets....then I would not even let them go out in the first place! If they were going to a game, I would pick them up when the game is over. If they were going to a roller rink, I picked them up when the rink closed....It was a logical system and there was no sense of entitlement! Plus, they always had to tell me where they were going!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Mine was 11pm and that was 1987-1993. Quite some time ago. I got to stay out later if i was going somewhere and my mom knew where i was. I'm 34 now.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 10, 2010