What do you think about this theory on why the great flood happened?

I heard this theory the other day as to way God did the great flood. They said that the angels came down and had sex with some human woman resulting in half/god half/human children. Which were described as Giants. So God became furious and demanded the Angels not to do so again and then sent the great flood. There are a few verses in the bible I was told back this up. One being the were "God says that the Angels grew found of the daughters of the Earth." What are your thoughts?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, I have talked about the Nephilim before. Angels (Gen 6:2) noticed the women on earth and the angels took them as wives. Its reasonable to assume they had sex with the women since they took them as wives and Gen 6:4 even says they bore children, hence had relations. The offspring of the angels and women grew as giants (mighty men) known as the Nephilim. The Nephilim were bad. So in verse 7 it explains that God wanted to cleanse the earth......the flood. Verse 8....enter Noah. Works out like a screen play doesnt it...lol

In verse 7 it also says to wipe out domestic animals and creatures....maybe the end of the dinosaurs here. Just a thought.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:28 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I've heard that before. I just always understood it that the whole of humanity was sinning and God was tired of it so He saved Noah and his family and got rid of the rest because only Noah was righteous and still feared God. Sort of like when your computer is so full of viruses you just restart it at factory settings instead of trying to remove every singe virus one by one. That's how I understand it anyway; there was so much bad stuff going on God just got rid of all of it at once.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:03 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Gen 6:1
    The Flood
    1.When men began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them,
    2.the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose.
    3.Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."
    4.The Nephilim were on the earth in those days--and also afterward--when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.
    5.The LORD saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time.

6.The LORD was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain.
    cont.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 3:09 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• 7.So the LORD said, "I will wipe mankind, whom I have created, from the face of the earth--men and animals, and creatures that move along the ground, and birds of the air--for I am grieved that I have made them."
    8.But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord.
    9.This is the account of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked with God.
    10.Noah had three sons: Shem, Ham and Japheth.
    11.Now the earth was corrupt in God's sight and was full of violence.
    12.God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways.
    13.So God said to Noah, "I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth.

cont.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• this is what the bible says
    I also read the commentary as well. Nowhere does it talk about people having sex and procreating with angels. What it does say is that the giants as authority figures,
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 3:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• There are different theories as to who the "sons of God" are. Some people think they are fallen angels, therefor the "sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them" would be seen as angels making babies with mortals.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:28 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• It is all basically incomprehensible to me...completely. I will never know if the bible is intentionally incomprehensible so it leaves us with "faith" or what the story is...I am always amazed when people can read it and quote it as if the quotes actually tell us something concrete.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 3:46 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• 2.the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. 3.Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years." 4.The Nephilim were on the earth in those days--and also afterward--when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

This was the passage being referred. The sons of being angels. So if taken that way yes it does. Just a point not arguing or saying you are wrong.

hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• one of Jesus’ inspired disciples, Jude, wrote first about the angels that forsook their place in heaven to have relations with the daughters of men. Then he added: “So too Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities about them, after they in the same manner as the foregoing ones had committed fornication excessively and gone out after flesh for unnatural use, are placed before us as a warning example by undergoing the judicial punishment of everlasting fire.” (Jude 6, 7; Genesis 6:1, 2)

CONT.....
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• It should be noted that Jude’s reference to angels as not keeping their original position and to them as forsaking their “proper dwelling place” (certainly here referring to an abandoning of the spirit realm) is immediately followed by the statement: “So too Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities about them, after they in the same manner as the foregoing ones had committed fornication excessively and gone out after flesh for unnatural use, are placed before us as a warning example.” (Jude 6, 7) Thus, the combined weight of the Scriptural evidence points to angelic deviation, the performance of acts contrary to their spirit nature, occurring in the days of Noah. There seems to be no valid reason, then, for doubting that the ‘sons of God’ of Genesis 6:2-4 were angelic sons
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 3:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2010