Question with Tubes.

My daughter just got tubes about 3 weeks ago and I am so thankful for them but at the same time I see some downfalls. I don't know if other moms have experienced the same thing. My daughter is 15 months and she had an ear infection in the same ear for 14 in a half weeks! Yes it took me that long to get rid of it! However, before she had tubes she never wanted to be held she never cried even with the ear infections and now that she got her tubes in it has been the complete opposite. Not in a bad way just more clingy and more fussy when I took her back for her check up the tubes where in place and finally the ear infection was gone. However, Im just trying to think of ways that could be making her fussy and want to be held. I think a big part of it could be that everything is soooo much LOUDER however, I would just like to see what other parents experienced.

KotaElle

Asked by KotaElle at 3:11 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My daughter got them at about three years old...I didn't notice any change in behavior. If it is the loudness she will get used to it in a short time, I am sure. Actually, I think three weeks is already a long time.....I was going to say maybe she was just a little traumatized by the procedure, but three weeks seems long for that as well. Could it just be a coincidence? Maybe she was just getting ready to move into a new phase and it coincided with the ear tubes. I can't imagine that ear tubes could cause a change in behavior!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 3:33 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• I don't really know, It's not like it's a HUGE change in behavior just the opposite a little then before. I guess it could be a handful of different things. I guess I'm just over thinking it :) She already got four molars in and she didn't have any problem with them So your right it could just be a change in behavior thanks!
    KotaElle

Answer by KotaElle at 3:39 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• My son is 5 1/2 and just got his 5th set of ear tubes last week and my daughter turned 3 today and got her 3rd set in Nov. If your daughter constantly had fluid on the ears and now doesnt then it could appear that things are louder for her but it wouldnt be loud enough to make her cry. She shouldnt be hearing much louder than you or I would. I would say its a coincidence and that something else is wrong. We've gone through tubes so many times in our house and I have never seen any side effects from it except for the nasty draining fluid (which isnt really a side effect because it means there is no pressure build up)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:50 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My daughter also got her tubes just a little over 3 weeks ago. For us, the changes have all been positive... for the first time in 6 months or no she doesn't have a snotty nose. She's happy, not clingy/fussy. And she is talking! Just like that, she is trying to say EVERYTHING! I guess maybe it could be because of her improved hearing, for your daughter I mean. But it could be totally unrelated, too. I'm sorry that's not much of a help... I just wanted to say that we haven't experienced anything quite like what you're describing since the tubes, so maybe what she's going through is unrelated.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:52 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• If its loudness, she may get used to it eventually. Talk to her Dr.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:26 AM on Sep. 15, 2010