3yo suddendly refuses to wash hair.

Help ladies;

My Dd just turned 3 and it's like something inside her little brain clicked :-) & she refuses to wash her hair, she screams like someone is killing her if water goes near her back or touches her hair, before she would let me wash it w/ no problems (Now I don't wash it everyday, but at least two times a week) I wanna know are there any moms going through, or have gone through the same thing, I hate to see her cry and I don't want her to be afraid of the water, any suggestions, games, etc etc, will be appreciated, thank you in advance.

cholita1978

Asked by cholita1978 at 3:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son has done the exact same thing!
    He'll scream like I'm trying to drown him whenever I try to wash his hair. He's fine being in the bath but does NOT like having his hair washed all of a sudden.

I've also started just washing it every other day. I haven't figured out any ways to make it easier on him, I keep trying but he spazzes no matter what. I just try and get it done as quickly as I can so we can get to story and cuddle time.\
    I am assuming it's just a phase and he'll snap out of it one of these days.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:33 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• same problem here too.I just wash his hair and even if he screams ...i tell him lets do this fast 4 times ok?? i say "close your eyes and look down i say 1,2,3 and isay thats 1 time 1,2,3 thats 2' i do it really fats he forgets.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 3:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Wow, that's a good question. How about making a big deal about washing your hair? Let her watch you, maybe let her WASH yours, if you think you can stand it. I'm thinking about doing yours in the sink, so she can stand/sit next to you and watch.
    Good luck with this one!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• Mine did the same thing at age three. So we just started rolling him up in a towel and washing his hair in the sink. Then put him in the tub to wash his body.
    LucyT20

Answer by LucyT20 at 7:04 PM on Apr. 10, 2010

• i let my daughter watch how i washed my hair in the shower one day and now she does it like i do so no water gets on her face which it turned out was the problem
    ibebreezy

Answer by ibebreezy at 8:27 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• We make it a game. My boys do better when I let them be "in control." They scrub the magic hair-de-stink-a-fy-ing goop (it isn't shampoo, really!) Then they get a cup and dump the water on their own heads... We have to remove the magic hair-de-stink-a-fy-ing goop or else our hair might turn pink. (Green might be acceptable, but NOT pink. lol)

Am I lying? Sure am! Does their hair get washed- you betcha! Am I scaring them for life? I'm certain they'll be fine with clean heads- and bath time is full of giggles and fun... I think they'll survive. :-)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:45 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My DD is almost 2, but she used to FREAK when we'd wash hair. My solution was to let her splash in the tub a LOT and use squirty toys to get water on her own face so she'd know it was ok. Next was to let her play with the cup we use to wash her hair...filling it with water and dumping it out. We also put a Dora sticker high up on the shower wall, and tell her to look up at it (so the water runs down her back). She still has trouble once in a while, but at least now she doesn't get upset as soon as the cup comes out!
    MommytoE522

Answer by MommytoE522 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Check the top of their heads for craddle cap. My kids were the same way. And it hit suddenly every time.

Try massaging baby oil on their head and then washing it.

It could also be a battle of wills- try just asking 'want your hair washed now, or in a minute' so they think they have a choice.
    rhiannond

Answer by rhiannond at 11:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Yay! I feel really helpful for what I am about to share! My DD is the exact same way! We struggled for about a year before we realized our SIMPLE solution! She also LOVED bathtime and then freaked out when the water hit her head, ears, hair, face, back and whatnot! So our solutions? We tried using a cup...didnt work...tried using a comb/brush...pain in the @$$...tried laying her back and soaking her hair....didnt work...tried having her stand in the shower...NOPE! Ok...then what did work?! The removeable shower heads on a hose! We got one that has three different settings, put it in between two settings so only one area opend turned the water down low and let her play with the hose for a few minutes squirting me her and all her toys...then i showed her own I WAS IN CONTROL of where the water went! She has no problems at all with it anymore! Good luck!
    NessGuinness

Answer by NessGuinness at 12:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I just wash it anyways. My daughter does it and then my son started doing it. I tell them to close their eyes but they refused to. My son used to LOVE water in his face. When he was a baby i'd shower with him and he'd freak out if the water wasn't on his face.
    mommyof11050307

Answer by mommyof11050307 at 5:06 AM on Apr. 13, 2010